C4 Forums | Control4

OS 2.8 is now Available!

Matt Lowe

http://www.control4.com/o/new

Expanded Native Streaming Services

With OS 2.8 we are expanding our native streaming music offering beyond Rhapsody, Napster and TuneIn to now include Pandora, Tidal and Deezer.

Native Support for
Airplay-Enabled Devices

Stream music from your iOS smart phone or tablet. Shairbridge brings a simple, reliable solution for sharing music from a mobile device. As a simple driver for HC-800 controllers, Shairbridge means your customers don’t need any additional hardware to enjoy their favorite music from an iOS device.

New and Improved
Entertainment Experience

Entertainment is an integral part of their smart home experience, and OS 2.8 introduces a new user interface for the way customers listen and watch.

Safety and Security Reimagined

Homeowners want to ensure their home and family are safe and secure. We have completely reimagined the Control4 security experience, making it much more intuitive for homeowners to arm or disarm a system, and we’ve improved the integration process for our dealers.

All-New Door Station

Available later this year, the new DS2 Door Station delivers greater security, with the speed and clarity the most demanding customer would require. Great new features include motion detection, email snapshots, better low-light performance, and the ability to see the camera independent of a call. With four models, either flush or surface mount, and with a keypad option, the new DS2 Door Station will be used to protect and connect even more homes than ever. Look for a books open message to learn when you will be able to place orders.

Custom Wallpapers and Screen Savers!

Customers loved the ability to have custom wallpapers on previous generation touch screens. With OS 2.8, the entire personalization experience has been improved, making it easier to customize and giving screen savers a more elegant look.

Back Up Projects to the Cloud!

Customers' projects are constantly evolving. Now, with automated cloud backups, you can schedule backups—including media metadata—from the controller directly to the cloud.
Note: This feature requires an active 4Sight license.

PM for info on upgrading your system.

Been playing around with the airplay putting in multiple instances for different auto power on rooms works so beautifully.

I want to do that, and am excited to, but need to migrate director to my HC800 so no joy for me this far (aside from Pandora).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you guys recommend having someone other than my dealer upgrade me to 2.8 or is it safe for someone on the forum to do it and not mess up my settings? I have 2.7.2 right now and would love to go to 2.8.  Everyone let me know your thoughts?  Sorry if this is a no brainer question I just wasn't sure If a remote upgrade is a good decision.

Officially no. There are certain risks with doing remote work. If your fairly capable and willing to put in the work remote updates can go well Just as easily bad.

I'll clarify they don't suggest doing support from a dealer that is not local.

Officially no. There are certain risks with doing remote work. If your fairly capable and willing to put in the work remote updates can go well Just as easily bad.

Thanks for the response I thought it might be a little sketchy, I would hate for my system to get all messed up.

Officially no.

'Officially' C4 tends to recommend doing an update remotely - as waiting around tends to lead to people getting impatient and interrupting/resetting and so on.

It's also very much recommended to leave the option open to  have the dealer come by that day or the next SHOULD something go awry. Assuming your setup is done properly - that chance is fairly slim though.

You could just ask your dealer to start that update remotely, understanding that if things go south he may have to do a paid service call. Going around him, having someone on here do it and then having to call him in may not be the best path.

'Officially' C4 tends to recommend doing an update remotely

Really?? I've never had anyone in C4 EMEA advice me of that one, infact very much the opposite. That advice surely is contry to their backup advice in composer which says '(Media information IS NOT recommended over a remote connection)'

Really?? I've never had anyone in C4 EMEA advice me of that one, infact very much the opposite. That advice surely is contry to their backup advice in composer which says '(Media information IS NOT recommended over a remote connection)'

A back-up can be made by the end-user as well.

Losing media is potentially minor over having a single back-up. That 'warning' is about making a back-up with that stuff - has nothing to do with updating.

If it was such a problem though - why is there an option to set an email to go from the system when update is complete? Rather unneeded is you have to sit there and stare at the screen the whole time.

Perhaps the European support is more frisky - do they recommend you update and walk away for an hour, or hours on some very large systems? ZigBee in particular can take a very long time to get updated - and you can see diminished function on remotes, buttons and lighting control during that complete cycle.

Some time ago the biggest problems occurring on updates were caused by dealers being impatient and manually rebooting/cancelling/restarting updates.

If not C4's advice - consider it mine. (Start an) update remotely, plan to have time to come in on short notice should there be issues.

Of course - if you're doing a system 3 hours even more away - it isn't always wise to 'just' update. But it is probably a VERY good idea to start the update before you drive out there so it can run while you're on your way.

The update is INITIALIZED from ComposerPro - but it RUNS on the system controller. There is not a SINGLE difference in starting it remotely or locally. You do and are not supposed to do ANYTHING (to the system) while that process is running.

Why waste your clients' money by sitting there idle? Or waste your own time if you're not charging.

If not C4's advice - consider it mine.

Okay thanks for the padding so what your saying in a nutshell it is your recommendation/advice?

The 'frisky’ reference may have got lost in translation I'm afraid, thats usually how our border collie gets around the neighbours dog! So I’m unsure what you were driving at?

Okay thanks for the padding so what your saying in a nutshell it is your recommendation/advice?

The 'frisky’ reference may have got lost in translation I'm afraid, thats usually how our border collie gets around the neighbours dog! So I’m unsure what you were driving at?

Scaredy cats.

Scaredy cats.

You definitely have a talent for making stuff your own! Frisky = Scaredy cats geeeezzzzoooo :rolleyes:

The word is a adjective and means - Playful and full of energy or the urban dictionary version – well I will let you google that one but I’m sure C4 EMEA will be as pleased as punch to know they are randy devils according to you :D

You definitely have a talent for making stuff your own! Frisky = Scaredy cats geeeezzzzoooo :rolleyes:

The word is a adjective and means - Playful and full of energy or the urban dictionary version – well I will let you google that one but I’m sure C4 EMEA will be as pleased as punch to know they are randy devils according to you :D

Sigh. If you want to waste posts on this go ahead. If you want to waste time/money sitting around staring at a screen go ahead. I'll happily go ahead updating systems as described - without a single fail mind you, only failed updates I've had were those where I WAS on-site.

Sigh. If you want to waste posts on this go ahead. If you want to waste time/money sitting around staring at a screen go ahead. I'll happily go ahead updating systems as described - without a single fail mind you, only failed updates I've had were those where I WAS on-site.

Okay then lets crack on and waste some posts! we might get you past 6000 today how good would that be?

I already follow that method of working remotely etc  ;) and at no point did I say I didn't if you follow the thread back, I merely got into this ping pong dialogue because of your unfounded statement to another dealer that 'Officially' C4 tends to recommend we do this when it transpires its actually only your personal advice.

The post you responded too actually said 'Officially no' and he followed on by saying ‘don't suggest doing support from a dealer that is not local’ i.e. beyond what is practical to travel too if it bricks for whatever reason so their advice was very sound and I did not think it required your contradictory misleading opinion that may confuse a layperson into thinking its C4 best practice to remote update when its not.

Irrespective of your follow on statements about pencilling in that day or the following day if it goes wrong, you were making readers think it is C4 policy to remote update to avoid a dumb engineer doing a reboot part way through, this may have happened years ago when composer had poor update status feedback, but it's less likely these day's now it presents us with a very good status which should prevent onsite engineers doing such dumb things.

I have to ask what is it with the odd word in capitals? does your caps lock keep getting stuck? its really unpleasant to have someone talk then suddenly SHOUT a single word mid sentence like a five year old :wacko:

unfounded statement to another dealer that 'Officially' C4 tends to recommend we do this when it transpires its actually only your personal advice.

Any more founded than the opposite? It's not just me saying it - I just can't be bothered to spend the time to track down the info on a non-issue like this should be.

Do you truly desire to rile me up? Do you truly believe I could truly care?

And in addition you want to get into and add statements on when and where I choose to put something in caps for emphasis?

I don't think I'm the one that is acting as a five year old here.

Troll away - I have more intelligent things to take care of.

Archived