C4 Forums | Control4

MyHome Site

How reliable is the Controllers sold on Ebay? I would like to purchase one for a 2nd TV set up.  Can you I extend my MyHome licenses from my main HC-800 to the 250?  I've heard about a master slave relationship before?  How does this get set up?  Ideally I could get a cheaper 250 controller for less that 400 without the MyHome/Intercom licenses.

Myron

How reliable is the Controllers sold on Ebay? I would like to purchase one for a 2nd TV set up. Can you I extend my MyHome licenses from my main HC-800 to the 250? I've heard about a master slave relationship before? How does this get set up? Ideally I could get a cheaper 250 controller for less that 400 without the MyHome/Intercom licenses.

Myron

The license applies to the master controller

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The license applies to the master controller

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatal

The license applies to your ACCOUNT.

As long as your 'primary' or 'master' controller has the license, it's loaded into your account based on it's registration - and you have access to your system with the license - regardless of other controllers you have in that one system.

The license applies to your ACCOUNT.

As long as your 'primary' or 'master' controller has the license, it's loaded into your account based on it's registration - and you have access to your system with the license - regardless of other controllers you have in that one system.

Actually it depends on what HC800 CanuckPanda is talking about, if its a Pre-bundle version then its assigned by the dealer to the MyControl4 account but if its a Post-bundle unit (2013 Home Controller) it is the controller that holds the license and as long as it is the primary/master controller (director) and the one with its MAC address registered to the MyControl4 user account all is good in the world of MyHome and Intercom. So if it needs to be moved to another MyControl4 account its a simple case of doing a unregister and register on the new account. I'm sure sucking eggs is in your mind just now!!! :)

To answer CanuckPanda's question as long as your HC800 is the main box then use what you want as slave unit HC200, HC300, HC250 pre 2013 or post 2013

Actually it depends on what HC800 CanuckPanda is talking about, if its a Pre-bundle version then its assigned by the dealer to the MyControl4 account but if its a Post-bundle unit (2013 Home Controller) it is the controller that holds the license and as long as it is the primary/master controller (director) and the one with its MAC address registered to the MyControl4 user account all is good in the world of MyHome and Intercom. So if it needs to be moved to another MyControl4 account its a simple case of doing a unregister and register on the new account. I'm sure sucking eggs is in your mind just now!!! :)

To answer CanuckPanda's question as long as your HC800 is the main box then use what you want as slave unit HC200, HC300, HC250 pre 2013 or post 2013

Thank you for repeating what I said in a longer and more complex manner?

:blink:

Thank you for repeating what I said in a longer and more complex manner?

:blink:

I like to think I was clearing up some ambiguity in your post for those who are confused by the C4 license debacle!!!

If full explanations for end users are to be ridiculed by those who believe they know it all but can’t be bothered to fully explain themselves then hay-ho! :)

:rolleyes: I'd argue that post isn't any clearer or less ambiguous at all, but rather more confusing (which would have been a better word that 'complex')

But here - a 'full and hopefully clear explanation' for general reading by someone 'who believes they know a rather goodly amount about it all - though not by any means everything' ^_^

Full explanation:

-Pre 2013 controllers (NO -BL1 at the end)

Your license is a separate entity locked to your current account and cannot be moved to another account.

There is no longer an option to buy new licenses. This ability was removed June or July 2013 - one of the two (see I don't know everything off the top of my head ;) ).

If you have this, you can assign ANY controller to that account and it will have the licenses available, pre- or post the '2013' line (noting that that actually started May 2013).

-Post 2013 controllers

Your controller comes with the built in licenses - these are assigned TO your account and are part of your account as long as that controller is part of that account.

These licenses follow the controller if registered to a new account - thus if you buy a new controller with -BL1 then you will get the licenses with it - as long as that controller will be your main/master/primary controller.

Registering a controller to a new account will invalidate that registration on the old account.

As using the licenses will require the system be registered (and every device you connect checks that registration initially as well as at regular intervals) your Primary controller HAS to be the one registered - In other words you cannot register a newer HC250, then load your project back to your HC800.

Notes:

*Regardless of which of the above applies to you - adding secondary/slave controllers to your system has no influence on the ability to use these licenses across your whole system.

*If, for some reason, you want to set up that 'second' room as a completely independent system - you will need to create a separate account. Only one system per account. Thus, you'd need a controller WITH licenses assuming you want the licenses.

*If your thought is that you'd buy a newer HC250, and use it's licenses for your existing HC800 - that will not work.

** Understand that, in certain scenarios - such as having an HC800 without licenses and doing a considerable expansion with among it an HC250, or in certain 'take-over' situations where licenses may be lost - your dealer CAN attempt to talk to their appropriate sales representative, and show the situation.

Control4/their reps may then consider making an exception and you may be eligible to obtain a (paid) license.

Understand that other than the dealer initiating this process (and providing a report on the situation - that option is entirely in the hands of Control4.

Think that's about as complete and clear as I can make it.

Also in a big purchase / expansion your dealer might agree to swap your 800 for a newer one if they have an upcoming project anticipation where the project needs two 800. This is more likely for an unlicensed 250 as the 800 And secondary 250 scenario is more likely.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

Also in a big purchase / expansion your dealer might agree to swap your 800 for a newer one if they have an upcoming project anticipation where the project needs two 800. This is more likely for an unlicensed 250 as the 800 And secondary 250 scenario is more likely.

Except for the fact that there is really almost no good reason to use two HC800's at all. In the rarest of cases (generally not prewired for the function) there may be some use due to i/o plus multiple audio outs in a small package.

Except for the fact that there is really almost no good reason to use two HC800's at all. In the rarest of cases (generally not prewired for the function) there may be some use due to i/o plus multiple audio outs in a small package.

Yup. My dealers main spec case here would be for the outputs and control of a HT space, IR, audio, OSD, relays and contacts for curtains etc.

I have a purchased site license, plus a qualifying controller. Can I sell that site license off?

Are you saying you have a the old site license (pre april 2013) and a controller with the bundle on it (post april 2013)?

I have a purchased site license, plus a qualifying controller. Can I sell that site license off?

Your purchased licence stays with your my.control4 account irrespective of controller.

The only way you could sell that is to sell the account (and any other account based licences) e.g. Remote access. Composer home.

Then set up a new account for the project and the licenced controller.

You can sell the account as per the earlier suggestion, the new version of your online MyControl4 account allows you to change the account name now which it did not until the 2.8 update, this means the new ownner can change all the details to make it their own.

Set up a gmail account and alter you old account to that so you free up your current email address for a new MyControl4 account which your new HC800 will register to.

I can't advice if this is within C4 rules or not but I would think its only like selling your house and transfering the ownership

Archived