C4 Forums | Control4

Kudos to Control4

ILoveC4

I've got to say, OS 2.8 brought some fantastic functionality. I am absolutely loving the Shairbridge and Pandora drivers. The new interface (with search) is a step in the right direction and the mobile app rocks.

Good work Control4. Keep it coming!

Question: for those utilizing AirPlay, are you ignoring the source volume or using it? I think I may try using it, just to make it easier to turn the volume up and down without launching the C4 app or grabbing a remote. If anyone is using it that way, how well does volume attenuation work? Does the volume scale on the device match the C4 volume scale? I have default volumes set in C4, so I'm guessing the 100% max on the phone/device would equal whatever the volume is on the C4 amps? Am I explaining that clearly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe its the same way as using appletv airplay volume / control4 volume works - if the Control4 volume in the room is set to 50% and sonos is set to 100%, you can still go louder by turning the room up. If the room is at 100% and the source is at 0%, you wont hear anything. I am not able to test this at the moment but I suspect its the same.

I've tested it with device volume - works perfectly well and as per above.

Personally went back - because I removed the auto on (I'm looking at some major revisions where I'll likely get back to it but current setup just doesn't lend itself all that well for auto-on due to amplification methods)

So, let's talk through a scenario here (I'm not at home to test).

If I have my default room volume at 40%, then when I turn on airplay it will be at 40%. If I am using DEVICE VOLUME option, and my iPhone is at, say, 50% volume....will I in effect get 50% of the 40%? Or will the C4 volume go to 50% (to match the iPhone) and when I turn the volume up or down on the iPhone will it adjust the C4 volume? The latter would be ideal, but I realize it may not work that way.

If I have my default room volume at 40%, then when I turn on airplay it will be at 40%. If I am using DEVICE VOLUME option, and my iPhone is at, say, 50% volume....will I in effect get 50% of the 40%? Or will the C4 volume go to 50% (to match the iPhone) and when I turn the volume up or down on the iPhone will it adjust the C4 volume? The latter would be ideal, but I realize it may not work that way.

As far as I know control4tis not aware of the source volume levels

You can easily program/set on this auto play to go to a different volume.

Ugh. Reminds me of my Sony 1800ES AVR.

Using airplay it adopts the airplay device volume as its own.

So now the AVR opens the stream usually at between 60-100 on the volume scale.

50 is really loud on my AVR.

Airplay is not a feature I use on that avr

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

As far as I can tell it is the former not the latter. Which is not ideal. As you say, the latter would be better. I tried using the device volume option and did not like the results at all so went back to the default of not using it... Much better result!

Archived