C4 Forums | Control4

Driver for iOS/Android app user management

leowalton

Hi all,

I've done some searching online and asked about various people in the industry but am struggling to find something that satisfies my brief.

Basically I am doing a design for a large house that is going to be used as a kind of "family hotel". There are going to be 8 bedrooms plus some family areas and they want to go for full C4 control of entertainment, lighting, heating etc. Most of the time it will be faimly staying but they will also be using it as a commercial venture so will have members of the public staying.

The client wants people to be able to login with an iOS/Android app so that they can lie in bed and control the lights etc. without having to have portable touchscreens that could get lost/broken/left off-charge. The problem is that if people want to be able to login with their iOS/Android app then we have some issues with them mistakenly or maliciously being able to control the lighting and TV in other rooms. I've spoken to C4 about this and there is nothing native in Director that allows this so I'm just putting this out there in case someone else has come across a driver that offers this functionality.

Many thanks in advance.

I believe there's a good amount of hoops to jump through to run the hospitality version.  I asked a long time ago, job fell through, so never looked into it again.

This can be done with what is available now, it all depends on budget, wants/needs and design.

8 rooms - a big bread and breakfast. Not sure hospitality setup is viable there.

Why not just do remotes for the rooms, SR150 for a/v and some custom buttons for lighting?

I get what you're trying to do - but the reality is that it's just not very user friendly for this application.

Note that the new portable can be screwed down to the dock, and there are plenty of very strong adhesive connectors available that you can lock them down with (wish they had built-in kensington locks) if theft is a concern.

Cost is not an major issue with this project. Satisfying the client brief is the main concern. The system doing the job and ticking all the right boxes is what the client is most worried about. It sounds like I might need to get back to C4 Tech Support and ask them about the hospitality version. They didn't even mention it when I spoke to them before! Thanks for all your help so far.

Another problem to consider is that in your situation using MyHome is the annoyance of disabling devices constantly - are they really looking to manage that all the time, the way to do this isn't setup for such constant changes.

Hospitality MAY be the way to go (cost prohibitive does not mean a few grant extra).

To look into it leave tech support alone - talk to you rep instead.

I still say a docked touchscreen for those rooms on the night stand is still the better option.

Archived