C4 Forums | Control4

Licenses with an HC300b

badjesus

Hey guys,
So possibly stupid question. I haven't had to deal with this yet. 

As I mentioned in a few other posts, I am trying to build a system for my sister and law and her boyfriend for a house warming gift. 

I am building it with an HC300 I have, but I am curious on what is going to happen if it is just too slow for now and we have to upgrade to an HC250 or 800. 

Will the license carry over from the HC300? Or does the license follow director? Can I keep the HC300 as Director and just offload Zigbee and everything to a new controller? Or is that just asking for trouble? 

Thanks in advance. 

? There are no licenses on 300 controllers.

If you're worried about 4sight etc - that's all on the account and will be there regardless of what controller is registered to it - so yes you keep them.

Also relaise by the way that HC300 cannot be a master controller past 2.5.3

? There are no licenses on 300 controllers.

If you're worried about 4sight etc - that's all on the account and will be there regardless of what controller is registered to it - so yes you keep them.

Also relaise by the way that HC300 cannot be a master controller past 2.5.3

Yeah for sure. I only upgraded it to 2.5.3.

The hc300 was "license included" to my understanding. I can register it without him buying a license. So if we then upgrade to an hc250 or HC800 (bl) can they be used as a controller? For example I have an HC250bl that my understanding either needs a license or can only be used as a navigator. Is this not true?

It would be awesome if I could just add it to the existing project without buying a licensed version of an hc250.

you can register a controller with out having a license. The license is for the my home app, and intercoms. Controllers with out licenses the license was attached to the my.control4 account. If you purchase an hc250 or 800 without a license attached to the controller you will be in the same boat.  

you can register a controller with out having a license. The license is for the my home app, and intercoms. Controllers with out licenses the license was attached to the my.control4 account. If you purchase an hc250 or 800 without a license attached to the controller you will be in the same boat.  

What do you mean by the same boat?

So I think I am confusing things by talking about licenses. I know in the past, there used to be a my home license which may be confusing me. 

Specifically on the sku's, there are for example C4HC250 and C4HC250BL and my understanding is the differnence, other than the dramatically cheaper cost, is that one can be used ONLY as a navigator and IO, etc. It can't run director because it won't be able to register or check in due to a license issue. While the other one with a much higher cost can be used as a director. Is this not true? Was I fed misinformation? 

The ONLY possible license you may be thinking of is the old 2.0 License. Don't worry about that one.

When you have a model of a controller with BL on it then, what does that mean? I thought it was licenses?

-bl (1) at the end on controller sku means it has licenses included.

Those licenses are MyHome Licenses and Intercom. Nothing more or less.

Older controllers can run director fine, though 200/300/500 are limited to 2.5.3 max.

2.0 Licenses were required some very old HC series controllers that were pre 1.8. All I'm saying is just update to 2.5.3 and don't worry about that ;)

Older controllers can run director fine, though 200/300/500 are limited to 2.5.3 max.

2.0 Licenses were required some very old HC series controllers that were pre 1.8. All I'm saying is just update to 2.5.3 and don't worry about that ;)

So the controller is all set up. I am running the HC300 as the primary, and a second HC500 as just a navigator. The 300 has director running.

Navigator is working on the two controllers but I just tried to use the Adobe Air ap for windows and also the android app over WIFI on the local network and both are telling me "You need to have a license to connect to the controller on this device, please contact your dealer".

But.... if you can't buy a myhome license anymore, are they now SOL on being able to connect to android? Do I have to get them a HC250BI? 

Brutal! If my account has an old my home license on it. Could I join their controller to my account even though it is in a different building and a different project? I am assuming I can't, because you can only register one controller per account?

If you have the 'old' type license on your account, and a new controller now (ie doubled up on license) - you CAN assign THEIR controller to your account (you can rename accounts since a month or so) and create a new account for yourself. This WOULD mean you'd lose your 4Sight and HE licenses though (if you have any) as they would stick to the old account.

Cyknight, do you know if there is any way to tell if an HC250 is an HC250BL1 without physically looking at the unit? I have them mounted behind TV's but I want to see if I can just take out a BL1 and give it to them, then replace it with a normal BL without a license. I have a line on some BL's that are used for super cheap. 

C4 offered me an old home site and intercom license. It is still super pricey though. Not worth it to put on an old HC300. 

Archived