C4 Forums | Control4

Access Doorbell Button

Gary Leeds UK

I have one of these for my system and my dealer initially installed it upside down since there was a small hole on the top that rain could get in to  (that hole should be at the bottom where rain can't get to it).  

The first time it rained hard with wind, rainwater got inside the case and it malfunctioned (it started ringing continuously).   I drained the water out and let it sit for a day to dry out then reinstalled it correctly (not upside down)....to my surprise it's worked flawlessly ever since (about 1 year now).   That's very water resistant in my book....borderline water-proof.  Just make sure to install it correctly.

Cyknight:

There is a little notch on the bottom that is used as a place to pry off the cover with something like a screwdriver, etc.. The top/bottom look identical except for that notch.

If it's installed with that notch on the top, I think the water can get inside it a lot easier.  At least my experience is that water has not gotten in since I switched the notch to the bottom, but I do recall that the storm that caused the problem was pretty strong so maybe I've just been lucky since then.

I am still surprised that the internal electronic survived after being soaked.  I was sure it was going to be destroyed, but it's working fine.

I've been happy with mine. Battery died quickly on the first unit. They sent me another. Has worked very well. Although battery's lastingly 8-12 months and must be purchased through them. Mine used to be white. It's now yellow which looks horrible. I'm unhappy with a yellow unit against white trim. It's also under a covered porch not in direct sun so it's turned with even just a bit of uv exposure.

I've been happy with mine. Battery died quickly on the first unit. They sent me another. Has worked very well. Although battery's lastingly 8-12 months and must be purchased through them. Mine used to be white. It's now yellow which looks horrible. I'm unhappy with a yellow unit against white trim. It's also under a covered porch not in direct sun so it's turned with even just a bit of uv exposure.

FYI batteries can be purchased elsewhere, not super common but not proprietary ( 3.6 V AAA cell (ER10450)):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4Pcs-PKCELL-ER10450-3-6V-Battery-700mAh-AAA-Li-SOCl2-Batteries-/251968861515?hash=item3aaa83b54b:g:aIoAAOSwKrhVZYlM

http://www.amazon.com/Li-socl2-Rechargeable-Capapcity-Operation-Tempeture/dp/B00Y03LDAY

Archived