C4 Forums | Control4

8 zone amps

bigdaddyo811

...Trying to grasp the problem here but - are you asking if the system can handle more than one digital media (stored music, TuneIn) at the same time (via an 8 zone amplifier)? Software wise - absolutely, however it will depend on if you HAVE multiple audio connections from controller(s) going to you amplifier.

So one connection from an HC800 gives you one stream ,2 does 2 streams and add an HC300 or other slave controller with another output and....so on and so on.

So to have more than 1 stream you need to have more than one available (stereo) audio OUTPUT from a controller AND have empty (stereo) audio INPUTS available on the amplifier.

Is there a way to have one stream playing on one zone and another stream on another zone?

Can one do it with one controller or if 2 how does one hook them up?

Starting with the assumption you mean the 8x8 matrix amp then yes it can.

You would also need a HC800. This is manufactured with two RCA analog audio out.

Two sets of red and White cables, 16 speakers and a bunch o speaker cable ans you are all set.

You could also add a digital coax to RCA balun and then you can get a thirds feed from that HC800.

Now the feeds supported natively are also broader.

Airplay

Tunein

Rhapsody

Pandora

Tidal

Deezer

Local Media

Thank you

I have two 8 zone amps and a 4 zone amp with a hc800, hc250 and hc300. What would be the setup to maximize the nber of streams

I understand the output part but can you split the output to two different amps and if so how would you arrange that?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Unfortunately controller outputs are one of the very few ones that you cannot split out (can cause tracking issues).

Simple max is two from HC800 to the first 8-zone, two from the 300 to the second and one from the HC250 to the 4 zone.

You CAN as SMH above said use a DAC to change the digital coax out to another stereo, even take it further and use an HDMI audio extractor to yet another feed.

Unfortunately controller outputs are one of the very few ones that you cannot split out (can cause tracking issues).

Simple max is two from HC800 to the first 8-zone, two from the 300 to the second and one from the HC250 to the 4 zone.

You CAN as SMH above said use a DAC to change the digital coax out to another stereo, even take it further and use an HDMI audio extractor to yet another feed.

We'll now a 4 zone has appeared it can just be bound there instead.

And realistically the option is an audio matrix above the amps.

Though if you figure out what users patronising what rooms most of the the time and map based on that, often other surroinding rooms will be used peripherally in a party mode. You're unlikely to have mmultiple different sources spanning the kitchen / family / dining room. Likely to have a different source in rack kids room.

With kids (I'm guessing there are if you need 20 zones) you could add wireless music bridges to the amps to give theit own source for their I devices.

We'll now a 4 zone has appeared it can just be bound there instead.

And realistically the option is an audio matrix above the amps.

Though if you figure out what users patronising what rooms most of the the time and map based on that, often other surroinding rooms will be used peripherally in a party mode. You're unlikely to have mmultiple different sources spanning the kitchen / family / dining room. Likely to have a different source in rack kids room.

With kids (I'm guessing there are if you need 20 zones) you could add wireless music bridges to the amps to give theit own source for their I devices.

Ah yes - of course - feed the HC800 digital coax direct to the 4-zone.

You could use a matrix above - but at over 16 zones, you're best be looking outside of C4 for that. Otherwise you'll be creating a matrix to matrix situation which may cause it's own problems.

Thanks for all the replies.

When you say feed the HC800 to the 4 zone is that because a 4zone specifically has a digital coax input that a 8 zone does not?

I dont want to buy a matrix switch and you are correct, there are multiple zones that never will need different inputs (kitchen and living and dining...) but the kids rooms do so the number of outputs between the 3 controllers should be enough.

Why, with an algorithm!

I've no intention of explaining all the details of the algorithm here if you don't mind (also not my place to do so).

Suffice it to say that C4 will always select unused outputs first, and selects the longest running output if all are already in use.

Archived