C4 Forums | Control4

Little early but.... Let's talk xmas lights

badjesus

So I have been putting some thought into what I can do for xmas lights. One thing I haven't even started looking at or reading in to is LED strips but something tells me this is by far the best idea?

I want something I can leave up all year round, even in Canadian winters. 

Anyways, I am curious on some ideas you guys have had. Tying it in with music? Different controller systems, etc. 

I have a few hue led strips that I'm not using that I picked up for sale earlier in the year. But they say they are not rated for outdoors. I've seen other led strips that look exactly the same and are rated for outdoors but wouldn't integrate as easily. I think long term I will probably look at a dmx setup for landscaping lights as a whole and just tweak colors for holidays.

I use Light-O-Rama for my lighting/music.

Light O Rama is DEFINITELY bad ass, but A LOT more than what I was thinking :) 

I think I might do more research on it though and DMX in general. LED strips around windows, door, garage door, etc of my house woudl be nice. Barely noticeable in summer, leave them up all year, and you could use them for halloween, xmas, special events, etc. Even for remembrance day today, I am thinking tonight I will have my three Hue lights with red, white, and red (canadian flag) and then have the projector shine against the semi transparent shades over the garage with the canadian flag waving. 

At least going this way, I can do it with C4, and just press a button and have it turn on as opposed to complex programming and hours of set up like light o rama. I am thinking more simple, do it once, never need to connect and disconnect things. 

Archived