C4 Forums | Control4

A new home monitoring system, called Domotz is launching! Installers and network professionals go free.

dcrapanz

Hi. I hope this is the right place for this. We are a new start-up called Domotz, and we’ve been working on a new home monitoring system for network monitoring, power mgmt, remote access, alerts, network diagnostics, and remote IT help. We have had over 250 people from 25 countries playing and beta testing our software over the last couple of months, lots of techy diy-ers, but many professional installers as well. The feedback has been great so far and we are now ready for the next step. We are confident the home automation community is going to enjoy and appreciate what we developed- we started as an installer ourselves, but decided instead to make a living out of fixing problems, remotely!

We want to attract as many people in the home automation industry as we can to give Domotz a spin, and we have decided to give it for free to Installers, Professionals and Super Users (ie. anybody monitoring more than 5 networks) when they join our partner program! Don’t get us wrong, we are not a charity. End-customers get the system for $2.99/month, which is a lot less than other companies on the market charge (by a mile). For less than a coffee, your customers will enjoy themselves on their mobile phone professional monitoring features, a user friendly interface and will get better insight, privacy control and peace of mind over their own home. And via the built-in collaboration feature you will have unrestricted access to support them remotely from anywhere.

Check out our Partner Program if you are interested at http://www.domotz.com/free-home-monitoring-for-installers/

It currently runs on Raspberry Pi, QNAP and Synology. we'll also add our own box in the new year. Let me know if you have any questions.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been using the app for a few weeks now running a Raspberry Pi.  I really like the interface.  However, when I take a device off the network, it takes some time to report the status.  Its not as instant as I'd like to see.  

I'm also using ECMO Ping Monitor to get notifications of offline devices.  

Just as an fyi, we perform a deep scan of the network every 30 seconds which gives us a heartbeat. A missed heartbeat will turn the device red and tick the up/down status counter. Once the device skips four heartbeats we will report it as officially offline and fire off a status change alert. This is to avoid/minimize false positives which are one of the reasons I personally stopped using a number of other monitoring services (I was getting swamped with alerts). In alert manager, you can set alerts on lost heartbeat rather than status change just be warned that you may receive a large number of alerts in case funny stuff happens in your network, so we only recommend to do this if you are in "diagnostic" mode. We'll eventually let users customize the number of heartbeats needed to trigger an alert.

Archived