C4 Forums | Control4

Custom UI

Simplified AV

Control4's User Interface is a 'canned' interface.  There is no template, per se.

The interface itself is built based on what is found in the project that is on the main controller in the system.

The downside to this, as you're implying, is that you can't make a completely custom UI.  If you have a Control4 system and I have a Control4 system, our User Interfaces will operate very similar to each others', the differences being based on what I have in my installation vs. what you have in yours.

The upside to this is that a Control4 installer does not have to make a custom UI, and does not need to program much of *anything* to provide a fully-working UI to their customers.  That makes the install faster and less expensive.

The UI can be customized with various backgrounds/themes.

RyanE

Also, I personally don't think the 'canned' UI is anything of a drawback.  There are several other advantages to Control4's UI over a 'custom' UI:

* Consistency: Control4's UI uses consistent fonts, icons, color schemes, and elements (sliders, etc.).  On fully custom UIs, it's not common to see a hodge-podge of styles and interfaces.  Control4's look has been designed by professional designers, and refined over years of customer use.

* Richness: Control4's UI is not a watered-down interface.  Whether you're streaming music off your local NAS, streaming a built-in service, streaming music through Sonos, or even choosing video, Control4's Media Service Proxy provides an extremely compelling experience, unmatched by any custom UI, with no programming cost whatsoever.

* Comprehensiveness: Control4's UI natively supports Door Locks (including code setting and schedules), Thermostats (including Scheduling, Humidity and 'Extras'), IP Cameras, Doorstation video, and has very rich interfaces for Pools, Spas, and Security panels. 

* Availability: Control4's UI is available through (free) apps for Apple and Android Phones and Tablets, as well as PCs, with no additional cost for accessing your system locally on as many devices as you wish, over WiFi, but you can also access your system remotely over 3G with an annual 4Sight subscription.

RyanE

@RyanE

I agree in most points.

However sub pages/menus where I.e. graphs or schedules can be displayed or buttons for remote control GUI can be changed/added would be useful.

Many 3rd party drivers offer usefully additions to systems but graphical presentation and / or administration of the corresponding equipment lacks - I.e tank monitoring

Agreed, I think the "canned" interface has it benefits. Here is my project I am working with. I installed a Crestron system in a conference room. 4 screens with 8 sources each with audio going to a receiver (out put of the matrix) The companies bosses and most employees all use control 4. They want me to convert the room to Control 4. Can i create a user interface that allows me to send video and audio in any configuration to any tv? currently it is a one step process and they really enjoy it. from what i know about C4 you have to press a minimum of 3 buttons to start selecting sources. does this make sense?

Agreed, I think the "canned" interface has it benefits. Here is my project I am working with. I installed a Crestron system in a conference room. 4 screens with 8 sources each with audio going to a receiver (out put of the matrix) The companies bosses and most employees all use control 4. They want me to convert the room to Control 4. Can i create a user interface that allows me to send video and audio in any configuration to any tv? currently it is a one step process and they really enjoy it. from what i know about C4 you have to press a minimum of 3 buttons to start selecting sources. does this make sense?

There is a 3rd party driver called "start here" that will do what you want.

http://www.extravegetables.com/products/start-here

I must say that I agree with most of what Ryan says... However, I would like to see StartHere on the T3 then we really have the best of both worlds... Failing that, what the current UI lacks is somewhere that you can edit and view system variables that you have set, or at least an area that allows feedback on custom buttons of some sort.

I don't disagree with any of the "would like to sees" that have been posted here.

I'd also like to see some degree of flexibility in designing truly custom interfaces on the new T3 touchpanels.

Unfortunately, Control4 doesn't pre-announce functionality, and even if I knew where that was on a roadmap (which I don't), I couldn't say.

RyanE

I don't disagree with any of the "would like to sees" that have been posted here.

I'd also like to see some degree of flexibility in designing truly custom interfaces on the new T3 touchpanels.

Unfortunately, Control4 doesn't pre-announce functionality, and even if I knew where that was on a roadmap (which I don't), I couldn't say.

RyanE

Yes but you can take the ideas to the developers. For a company like Control4 it is usually not the worst idea to listen to customers - :)

I think StartHere should be THE first app rebuilded for T3 screens. As new screens are Android based there shouldn't be much problems accomplishing that. With it, conference room installations would be using more of C4 instead od the other two (C&A).

O yea, and lowering C4 prices in Europe... I mean 2.5 for 800 is not really competitive here...

Sent from my LG G2

I think StartHere should be THE first app rebuilded for T3 screens. As new screens are Android based there shouldn't be much problems accomplishing that. With it, conference room installations would be using more of C4 instead od the other two (C&A).

O yea, and lowering C4 prices in Europe... I mean 2.5 for 800 is not really competitive here...

Sent from my LG G2

Control4 pricing in Europe is ridiculous. They will not get a "foot in the door" with 2500€ for a HC800 neither with their lighting line-up aka puck switches (those are near to paperweights compared to the NA models - @C4: if you are interested you can PM me and I will elaborate)

I think StartHere should be THE first app rebuilded for T3 screens. As new screens are Android based there shouldn't be much problems accomplishing that

First off I wouldn't expect apps to be 'rebuilt' (or rebuilded ;) ) - I'm not convinced at this point that there will be anything like the 'old' app store, my money is on a whole new ability, which may or may not be open to others to work on.

Second - Everyone needs to get off of the idea that what the T3 panels run on is a version of Android as you see it on your phones and tablets. The T3's are NOT 'android tablets' that are running a C4 app, nor are they running a customized version of your normal tablet OS.

I know, I didn't say they are like tablets. Core os is based on Android so development tools should be the same. I also think that app store is finished, it should be implemented in via sort of extended menu which is activated by purchasing a driver or free of charge even better.

Sent from my LG G2

Archived