C4 Forums | Control4

WTB C4 fireplace switch

Kevin Peters

Note that there only IS the older model - it's a discontinued product that didn't get a replacement.

If you're having trouble finding one on short notice - please note that you will need to have both line level and low voltage available (the first to power the device, the second is the actual low voltage trigger)

Is there a reason they discontinued this? What's the common setup now, like what walts is suggesting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just guesses but.

1. Sales volumes

2. Compatibility. Many fireplace are now Bluetooth and other tech

3. Electrical code. LV and HV in the same box is a pita to certify

4. Alternatives.

The card access relay for example, or Walt's suggestion. Either bound to a button on any keypad.

4. Alternatives.

My fireplace will come with a standard wall switch. I was just going to swap out that one for a C4 switch. This seems like the simple solution.

Do these alternative solutions provide more functionality than the old switch?

My fireplace will come with a standard wall switch. I was just going to swap out that one for a C4 switch. This seems like the simple solution.

No but as I mentioned, putting in the C4 fireplace switch isn't that 'simple' as you need to combine high and low voltage in that same box - very many electricians will balk even at the idea of having isolated boxes side by side one with high, the other low. Though it's fine and up to code it's uncommon enough to raise eyebrows at the best of times.

If we catch it early enough - you won't even have a wall-box but a line direct to the central rack and control is added to a keypad (in addition to screen controls)

So by that is the fireplace expecting a 110v current on the ON input?

That's what a standard wall switch provides.

Yes, I'm pretty sure. Was hoping to just buy the C4 switch to give the electrician, but I'm seeing it might not be that easy.

No a standard wall switch switches whatever load it's given. It doesn't 'provide' any current as such. ;)

It's pretty common to use a normal 110 rated switch for the low voltage to (and from!) a fireplace.

Archived