C4 Forums | Control4

Controlling Ceiling Fan (Do Most Use the Fan Controller?)

konieczn

2 hours ago, byronomo said:

That's good news.   Does it allow you to reverse your fans' direction via a C4 interface?

Control4's navigator has no UI for doing this.  We do import all non proxy bound commands in to the Bond Bridge driver and is accessible via the programming tab.  Your dealer will need to tie this into a button (physical or virtual).

11 hours ago, alanchow said:

Control4's navigator has no UI for doing this.  We do import all non proxy bound commands in to the Bond Bridge driver and is accessible via the programming tab.  Your dealer will need to tie this into a button (physical or virtual).

So, to make sure that I'm clear:  with Bond Bridge and the recommended driver, my dealer could program (for example) the top button on my C4 fan control switch to send the "reverse" command to my fan however the UI will not display that functionality.

Is this correct?    If so, that is a workable solution for me.  The fan only has 3 speeds and the C4 switch/interface as 4 speed settings, so using one of those "speeds" to reverse the fan would work well for me.

To extend on what msgreenf said, using the Bond gets you IP control to the Bond then RF control from Bond to the fan/lights.

Therefore, the fan speed controller is not needed.  Instead, purchase a configurable keypad and program the buttons to do what you want.  If you use the fan speed controller, it's going to become a very expensive keypad anyways.

2 hours ago, lippavisual said:

To extend on what msgreenf said, using the Bond gets you IP control to the Bond then RF control from Bond to the fan/lights.

Therefore, the fan speed controller is not needed.  Instead, purchase a configurable keypad and program the buttons to do what you want.  If you use the fan speed controller, it's going to become a very expensive keypad anyways.

So 2 follow-on questions:
1)Are you suggesting that I get rid of the fan control keypads (I already have them installed) and replace them with some other keypads?
2)What will controlling the fan(s) look like or be characterized as in my Foresight interface on my mobile devices?

If #1 is the case, it sounds like perhaps just looking for a fan that has a pull chain to change direction might be a more elegant solution.  Depending on the answer to #2, this might also point to just getting a fan that shows up as a fan in the interface.

2 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

I’m reversing fans using Control4 and Bond but as Alan mentioned earlier, this is achieved by recording the RF / IR command on Bond and assigning an Experience Button to reverse the fan and then using the normal fan control for speed.

Thank you.    That sounds like a reasonable solution to me.  I typically don't have to change the direction frequently and having an app to do it is preferable to needing a ladder.  🙂

• 1 month later...
On 11/18/2015 at 1:00 PM, Cyknight said:

Anything you want really - though you cannot change the button size on them, each and any of the buttons can be set to be a keypad (or changed to one of the other settings)

Commonly used to control another load, or at times the bottom one gets changed to a room off button.

Sorry to quote and ancient post in this thread, but I just installed 4 of the fan controllers, but don't need all 4 of the buttons for speed control (just need High, Medium, Low, and Off).  This post suggests a button can be used for something else in C4 - is that correct?  Could I make the top button something for music or lighting?  Seems given the nature of the switch, it would still also turn the fan load on, but maybe I'm not clear on how these are actually working.

Thanks!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.