C4 Forums | Control4

Driver issues with Insignia (BestBuy) TVs

My project has been running flawlessly until recently, when I swapped out an older tv with a new LCD Insignia model. My dealer and I could really use some help.

Here's the issue:

the standard C4 driver for Insignia allows for the tv to go on and off, but it is not successfully switching inputs between video sources, so we have to use the separate insignia remote to change inputs.

The C4 driver hasn't been updated in a few years, so I am wondering if we need to entertain a custom driver.

Here's a thread in URC codes that Insignia supports...

http://community.insigniaproducts.com/t5/Televisions/Insignia-TV-Remote-Control-Codes-Official-Thread/td-p/24094

can any of you provide some guidance here?

URC (as in not the brand but the codes for generic universal remotes) codes are meaningless for C4.

What you'd have to do is learn in the codes for the input changes. If the remote you have has actual buttons for each input - you're golden, but any half-decent dealer would have been able to do that.

Lacking that, depending on how the TV works, a custom macro may be possible.

This will largely hinge on if a) the tv doesn't auto-jump inputs that it doesn't see a signal on and B) if there is SOME way of discretely getting back to the built in tuner (ie a separate button to do so, or a channel up command brings you there).

Lacking that - you'll have to start searching for IR hex codes and good luck there.

One final option that you MAY have available is to check if Logitech has a driver for your or a close model - and see if it has discrete input codes. If it does, you could get whatever base (cheap) model from logitech you can get, add the TV there and use that remote to learn the codes into Control4.

I have 3 different sizes and models insignias at home working with the URC codes. I will post my driver in a few hours. It is not completed though... I only use discrete on, off, Hdmi 1 and 2.

That is all I need from a TV.

Really? Wonder which code you used? The motorola one? Or perhaps RCA or the Radioshack one? In this case URC stands for the generic term - not the company ;)

PS I edited my original post to make that a bit clearer

Really? Wonder which code you used? The motorola one? Or perhaps RCA or the Radioshack one? In this case URC stands for the generic term - not the company ;)

PS I edited my original post to make that a bit clearer

I have an URC MX-900 so I used the codes from URC database. They have Discrete codes for 2010+ models. 

I havent tried on 2014/2015 models, but they should work as well. 

I have an URC MX-900 so I used the codes from URC database. They have Discrete codes for 2010+ models. 

I havent tried on 2014/2015 models, but they should work as well. 

Again - OP wasn't TALKING about URC the BRAND but as a short for universal remote codes - the codes you enter into your 'generic' remote or your cable/sat providers remote to control TV as well as box....

http://www.filedropper.com/tvinsigniadiscretecodesled

Remember that the TV will only switch to that source if it senses a signal. If nothing is plugged in - it wont work.

Thanks @mallom - we'll give this driver a try and see what happens.

One issue is that there aren't settings in the Insignia firmware that allow/restrict the tv to scan inputs to detect a signal.  We are simply trying to alternate between 1 HDMI inout and 1 Component input.  But it looks at the other three inputs that aren't in use and stops there.

@CyKnknight - to your point, the Insignia firmware does auto-jump inputs that it doesn't see a signal on, which is irritating. Interesting approach re: the Logitech hex codes. Sounds like a long drawn out process to find one of those remotes, but worth a shot.

Thanks @mallom - we'll give this driver a try and see what happens.

One issue is that there are settings in the Insignia firmware that allow/restrict the tv to scan inputs to detect a signal.  We are simply trying to alternate between 1 HDMI inout and 1 Component input.  But it looks at the other three inputs that aren't in use and stops there.

@CyKnknight - to your point, the Insignia firmware does auto-jump inputs that it doesn't see a signal on, which is irritating. Interesting approach re: the Logitech hex codes. Sounds like a long drawn out process to find one of those remotes, but worth a shot.

Cant you remove unused inputs from the menu via setup?

This is a great reason to choose a tv with discrete input selection :)

Cody, I wish I even knew what that meant when I was considering buying this tv   : )

Should have know better than to think ANYTHING would be easy with Control4    : (

Cody, I wish I even knew what that meant when I was considering buying this tv   : )

Should have know better than to think ANYTHING would be easy with Control4    : (

Try the driver I provided you. It may solve the problem.

C4's codes are limited IMO, but the wizard to create custom drivers is great!

Your dealer should have created a driver using macros to switch inputs in the first place.

Try the driver I provided you. It may solve the problem.

C4's codes are limited IMO, but the wizard to create custom drivers is great!

Your dealer should have created a driver using macros to switch inputs in the first place.

Thanks @mallom - my dealer is going to give your driver a try over the weekend. Thanks so much.

If he can't do it, it would be great if one of you would be willing to work with me on it, for a fee, obviously. PM me if any of you would be open to that.

It's not a limitation of the Control4, rather that lower end TVs often dont have the ability to select "HDMI 1", rather they just have a toggle input selection where you have to keep hitting the input button until you get the input you want. Sometimes you can get lucky and even if the remote doesnt have a button for each input, discrete codes from higher model tvs may still work.. but there's no way to tell until you try it.

That makes sense Cody, and is exactly what is making this lower end TV a problem.

Insignia supports an input signal sensing mode, but that would work if only the unit would recognize the fact that there are only 2 inputs in use. It continually adds a "default" input labeled "TV" as the first input in addition to the HDMI and Component inputs I am using which ruins the chances of a simple "Toggle Input" macro from working.

Thanks @mallom - my dealer is going to give your driver a try over the weekend. Thanks so much.

If he can't do it, it would be great if one of you would be willing to work with me on it, for a fee, obviously. PM me if any of you would be open to that.

Did you get things sorted out? Did the driver work? Let us know! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Did you get things sorted out? Did the driver work? Let us know! :)

@mallom - your driver totally worked like a charm. My dealer was able to implement it without any issues, and coupled with Insignia's "input signal sensing" setting, we were able to fix the problem.  Many thanks!

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.