C4 Forums | Control4

Unable to connect to network share

I have  spent HOURS.

I  have   3 macs  and 1 pc  on my network.

I can  see the   files  on all from composer,  but can not connect to  any.

I have  tried  using the IP address,  computer name,   taking  down firewall on   win10 PC,   sharing  all folders on all computers...Nothing    helps.

The only thing that is  connectable is  the  HC-300  and  a  apple time capsule.

I can not even connect to a  USB  drive  on  my  Win10.

Still unclear why people insist on using PC computers (be they Apple or other - they're still PCs) to share network folder to an automation system.

Whatever is on there - move it to a USB drive, plug it into a controller, and if you want it accessible on your computers - browse or map to the controller.

I could never get my HC-250 to connect to Windows 10, though it worked fine under 7.   Searching around, I found a lot of this sort of issue and a lot of people sharing Cy's opinion of non-server Windows as a file sharing platform.  Since my Windows PC had mirrored drives already and was only used for file sharing, I just backed up my files and converted the existing hardware to run FreeNAS.  Great solution, solved all of my sharing issues and cost me nothing.  When it comes time to replace the hardware, I will certainly look at Synology and QNAP, both look like good solutions as well, but for now this is doing the trick.

Archived