C4 Forums | Control4

Web Control of Control4?

geeknoid

Hi,

Is there a solution available that would let me interact with a Control4 system from either the web, or at the very least from a PC on the same network at the Control4 system?

What I'd like to do is to write custom code, either in the cloud or on a networked PC, that can send commands into a Control4 system. One-way communication would be fine, where an incoming command is surfaced as an event in Composer. I can then program against these events to have Control4 do stuff.

Thanks for any pointers.

I have looked into the same thing as the OP and here is what I have learned, although I have yet to implement this.

For incoming commands you should be able use RyanE's Web Event's driver. To send commands from C4 to the outside world you should be able to use Alan Chow's Generic TCP driver - you have to pay for this one.

Of course you need a dealer to install the drivers and likely to buy the Generic TCP driver.

If you have 4sight you can control your system from customer.control4.com as well as get feedback.  It's normally around $99 per year.  

I do have 4sight, but that's not what I'm looking for in this context.

I want a programmatic interface to the Control4 system so that I can create custom applications for PC/mobile/cloud which interact with a Control4 system.

Thanks.

I have looked into the same thing as the OP and here is what I have learned, although I have yet to implement this.

For incoming commands you should be able use RyanE's Web Event's driver. To send commands from C4 to the outside world you should be able to use Alan Chow's Generic TCP driver - you have to pay for this one.

Of course you need a dealer to install the drivers and likely to buy the Generic TCP driver.

Aha, that looks like exactly what I was looking for. Well, close anyway. This driver opens a port on the controller proper, it's not suitable to be hooked up on the web directly. So if I want to do remote control over the web, I'll need to insert a local proxy on a PC to provide authentication, authorization, and encryption with the outside world.

Anyway, thanks!

I have implemented these two drivers they work well to do this, but I would add the extra security layer if you want to send commands in from outside your local network

Aha, that looks like exactly what I was looking for. Well, close anyway. This driver opens a port on the controller proper, it's not suitable to be hooked up on the web directly. So if I want to do remote control over the web, I'll need to insert a local proxy on a PC to provide authentication, authorization, and encryption with the outside world.

Anyway, thanks!

You might want to talk to Alan Chow as he is active on these forums and is the person that wrote the driver.

Archived