C4 Forums | Control4

Stripping Audio from HDMI Matrix

In our system all audio is routed through a Control4 Audio Matrix and then to two Control4 Amps.  If I add the Control4 HDMI Matrix (first generation) and run HDMI from the cable boxes (4 of them)(3 other digital sources) to the Control4 HDMI Matrix In do I just use the audio out (3.5mm jack)(with rca ends) to the audio matrix and turn off the speakers on the tvs?  Does the stripping happen automatically?  Is there any delays or lag between video and voice doing it this way?

The built in stereo audio switch in the matrix is a fully separated audio switch.

As such you COULD feed the hdmi stereo out into either your audio matrix switch.

This would create a multi-level matrix however - something LONG very strongly discourage by Control4 (with good reason as it certainly created problems).

Now - more recently people at C4 have claimed this problem should be fixed. I've heard a select few state similar issues as in the past howver. I've simply stuck to the old ways.

YMMV however - it is as it stand currently not against 'policy' to do HDMI matrix audio out to Audio matrix switch.

The advantage of using the HDMI matrix is that it has a built-in audio delay. However you are adding an additional step to your audio path already CAUSING a delay - so you may find your audio delayed already - and no audio delay control can make audio go faster.

In addition, only 2ch pcm will be output through the 3.5mm.

Cyknight, Thank you for the information.  Why put speakers in the ceiling if you can't distribute audio to them instead of using the speakers in the TV?  Ugh.  So HDMI from cable box to in on the Control4 HDMI Matrix then 3.5MM with RCA male plugs from the Control4 HDMI matrix audio out to the Control4 Audio matrix which then feeds two Control4 Amps which drive the speakers in each room?  In connections simply make HDMI "in" cable box x, "audio out" to audio matrix in.  Does this stop audio from traveling over the cdmi to the tv automatically or is there something else that has to be done to strip off the audio from the Control4 HDMI matrix?

Thank you again Cyknight.

Does this stop audio from traveling over the cdmi to the tv automatically or is there something else that has to be done to strip off the audio from the Control4 HDMI matrix?

Thank you again Cyknight.

No but setting the tv volume end point to the ceiling speakers and manually setting the tv volume to 0 will do the job unless someone gets their hands on the tv remote and starts messin'

As per above, no it won't remove the audio - alternate to volume is to check if the TV has the option to turn speakers off (comes in many different forms).

As for making your connections, yes you connect the HDMI 3.5mm outs to the matrix - the system iteself will take care of all the proper switching without further 'interference'

• 4 years later...
On 12/7/2015 at 7:50 AM, Cyknight said:

As per above, no it won't remove the audio - alternate to volume is to check if the TV has the option to turn speakers off (comes in many different forms).

As for making your connections, yes you connect the HDMI 3.5mm outs to the matrix - the system iteself will take care of all the proper switching without further 'interference'

@Cyknight What was your best method for connecting 3.5 to RCA? Did you make custom cables or did you use factory length 3.5/RCA? I currently have Binary 3.5/RCA and I'd like to clean up my rack a bit. Any suggestions? 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.