C4 Forums | Control4

Anyone running Chowmain Ping driver on 2.8?

jfh

I have the Chowmain Ping driver installed in a 2.8 project.

When I issue a ping programmatically, I see nothing in the LUA output (Print) and none of the result events trigger.

I realize the driver is free and there is no support; I'm just stumped as to why this wouldn't be working.

If this doesn't work on 2.8, can anyone suggest a replacement?

Alan - if you see this, can you please PM me? I am willing to pay for your time to get this driver working in my 2.8 project.

I got someone to install the EV Network Connectivity checker, but that does not provide the flexibility I need or the function your driver appears to have.

Alan - if you see this, can you please PM me? I am willing to pay for your time to get this driver working in my 2.8 project.

I got someone to install the EV Network Connectivity checker, but that does not provide the flexibility I need or the function your driver appears to have.

Hi we don't actually provide remote support for customers or dealers.  We focus all of our energies development of new and cool drivers/applications.

Our driver does work in OS 2.8.0 (just did a quick test see below)

DEBUG MODE = PRINTThu Dec 17 09:19:27 2015 - PING 192.168.0.200 (192.168.0.200): 56 data bytes64 bytes from 192.168.0.200: seq=0 ttl=128 time=0.377 ms64 bytes from 192.168.0.200: seq=1 ttl=128 time=0.316 ms64 bytes from 192.168.0.200: seq=2 ttl=128 time=0.353 ms64 bytes from 192.168.0.200: seq=3 ttl=128 time=0.289 ms--- 192.168.0.200 ping statistics ---4 packets transmitted, 4 packets received, 0% packet lossround-trip min/avg/max = 0.289/0.333/0.377 ms

If you need help on using the driver i recommend contracting one of the excellent dealers on this part of the forum.

http://www.c4forums.com/forum/26-looking-for-an-integrator/

Definately works.  Tested this morning.

I recommend getting your dealer to log in and help you troubleshoot your programming.

Seriously? There is one line of "programming"

Select Ping under Device actions.

Click Device Specific Command

Type in the IP address in the "IP or Host" box

Drag green arrow to script window.

Hit execute. Nothing happens. No output in LUA with Print option. None of the three events trigger.

Run the macro this one line is in. Nothing happens.

Doesn't matter if target is a domain name or a specific IP address, without quotes or with quotes. NOTHING happens.

Debug mode is set. NOTHING prints.

I suspect anyone that looks at Ping 192.168.100.1 is going to say "yup, code looks good".

I need to understand WHY nothing is happening and steps to fix it.

Here is my programming:

post-135256-0-24767800-1450309196_thumb.

It looks like the driver works on 2.8.

If there is anyone willing to figure out why it doesn't work in my project, I am willing to pay to get this working. My wife is really on my case to program a work around to receivers randomly dropping off the network. (My dealer is not an option)

i am serious about wanting to try, but no sure I have time.  I would recommend putting your director controller in debug log mode, this will give you some different logging then you get from driver level logging...could be helpful in troubleshooting

Thanks, I'll give that a try tomorrow. Had enough frustration for today.

(Trying to use the EV ping driver as a replacement, but the Connection Restored event is only firing when the controller reboots, not when the ping succeeds after a Connection Down)

<rant> Why the hell isn't function this basic integrated into Control4 itself ... </rant>

Looks like I am not alone.

Two dealers have tried installing the Ping driver on their own 2.8 systems and see exactly the same thing as I do - nothing.

Can anyone provide a detailed step by step set of instructions for making this driver work on 2.8?

Bonus offer still applies - the need for this driver to work on my system is becoming critical.

15 minutes ago, jfh said:

Problem solved.

Looks like the version that was the Chowmain site did not work with 2.8.  An updated version is now on the site.

Working fine in my project now. :)

That is actually incorrect.  The version on the website was corrupt.  A previous version was uploaded.

My statement that "the version that was on the site did not work with 2.8" was absolutely correct.  That version of the driver was loaded and/or deleted in the project by three different integrators and never worked.  The reason it didn't work is that the version of the diver everyone used was corrupt.  Whether the reloaded driver was a previous version or an uncorrupted copy of the one that was on the website is immaterial.

If the version that was on the website was corrupt, it is logical to conclude it would not work in 2.8 (and presumably in other versions).  In this case "it was corrupt" == "it did not work" and "when replaced with an uncorrupted driver" == "it did work"

I think "I'm sorry for your frustration" would have been more appropriate than telling me I was wrong (again).

The bottom line is that you looked into it after someone you knew said  "I can confirm and duplicate what Jim sees" and replaced the corrupted version on the web site with an uncorrupted one.  For that, thank you.

Fair enough.  

Bottom line is that whatever was put on the site today works and what was on the site yesterday did not.

Whether it was technically the same or an earlier version does't really matter and playing semantics with the the word "updated" seems pointless (and a tad insulting).

Cyknight is correct in his interpretation.

As stated on our website free drivers come as is and without support.  We make no money on these drivers and give them out because we feel generous.

I'm going to put this thread to rest as i'm pretty close to saying no more free drivers so lets end it here.

As I was with my statement. :)   

I appreciate your generosity, and am sure others do as well.  But it's also more than generosity - it's good brand marketing.

Those who develop drivers that are beneficial to others should be fairly compensated for their work.  No reasonable person should have a problem with a "no free drivers" policy, especially since you already have a free trial period in your drivers.

Having been a developer myself, I can certainly understand the concept of providing code "as-is".   But when you make code available, even "as-is", it is reasonable for the user to assume the code is actually usable.  And clearly, however the corruption happened, the code wasn't usable.

I applaud you for replacing the corrupted code.  You could have simply removed it from your site and been done with it.  (But I'm sure you're smart enough to realize that would likely have cost you lost sales of other drivers). 

If you PM me your PayPal address, I will gladly make a donation toward your future development efforts.  

(For anyone else reading, the driver is VERY useful in addressing a key flaw in the Control4 system - that you cannot easily act on whether C4 sees a device as controllable or not.  Using Alan's Ping driver, you can be alerted and/or act on problems before they become more serious issues.  Until Control4 allows a native way to check on device connectivity, anyone with HE should have this driver in their project.  A little tougher decision for dealers and their non-HE customers given the "as-is" status).

I'll gladly buy anything of yours I can use. Right now I have licenses for

Generic Lighting Driver
Event Logging Driver
TCP Command Driver
Advanced Custom Buttons
Weather Forecast Drivers
Advanced Announcements
Notification Suite

and have recommended them all to my dealer (who didn't know about your company)

Will be getting Plex or Kodi when I get around to working on my video library and will get Icons soon just because I think it's cool.

Develop a real two way TiVo driver and I'll buy multiple licenses.  (Sadly, not likely given TiVo has become somewhat of a US niche product, but I can dream).

Looking forward to what else you come out with that I can buy :)

Archived