• Created
  • Last Reply

I use the following triggers:

blinds

curtains

lights

panic

TV

various names (each of us in the family have a playlist and we use the name to call the playlist - e.g. Turn Adam on or Turn Eve on)

The triggers work great as does on and off. However, I find Alexa is no good at interpreting up and down...

19 minutes ago, drro said:

Hi, @chopedogg88.  After I buy the driver and have my dealer install it in my project, can I configure the events myself in ComposerHE?

Thanks,

David

im not chopedogg88 but yes, once your dealer puts in the driver you can do as you please.  My dealer installed the driver and did one test one to show me how to do it.  Since then I've created 6-7 on my own.  very simple.

I'm not sure if its just me or if I'm just having a brain lapse, but I'm no longer seeing the option in the echo.amazon.com interface or the alexa app for forgetting an existing wifi network?  I just walked a customer through it yesterday on how to forget the network and then used advanced settings to set a static IP...I was going to record a video today on how to do the whole setup, but now I'm not seeing the ability to forget an existing network...as soon as I click on the network, it immediately connects me.  Can others take a look and let me know if you see a change?

thanks!

I thought the forget option was under advanced setup in setup.   I think I tried the same thing as you a few weeks ago and just go connected right away to the existing network.

I'm giving this a C.

For $300, I expect more.

Alexa can't tell up or down most of the time, although she recognizes Dim.

I get on and off to work 85% of the time. Alexa is NOWHERE as good as siri at voice recognition.

It also sucks we're using a light driver to control our events. That the real cause.

I beg for SIriProxy again.

Spend some time doing voice training with the Echo.  The recognition rate will go up.

just curious - for $279 - ($179 for the Echo, which can be used outside C4 + $100 for the driver), what other integrated voice control option do you have now? 

The only other option I know of is VoicePod and that is a significantly more expensive solution (granted, with more flexibility) with recurring costs.

What exactly do you expect for $300 in the Control4 universe?  That's the cost of a keypad dimmer and install for most people.

While I don't have the Echo driver (yet), it should be understood that Control4 voice control is limited.  You only have a few choices.  SiriProxy was amazing for those that had it. Complain to Apple for that.  Complain to Control4 for not developing a driver of their own.

It's a free market.  If someone has the skills to take something and provide a solution that works for 80% of the requirements, then they should be given a little more credit.   

36 minutes ago, jfh said:

Spend some time doing voice training with the Echo.  The recognition rate will go up.

just curious - for $279 - ($179 for the Echo, which can be used outside C4 + $100 for the driver), what other integrated voice control option do you have now? 

The only other option I know of is VoicePod and that is a significantly more expensive solution (granted, with more flexibility) with recurring costs.

What exactly do you expect for $300 in the Control4 universe?  That's the cost of a keypad dimmer and install for most people.

Ya ya. I get your point. For those of us DIYers who had Siri proxy, this is a let down for 5x the money. Siri proxy was nil $$ and its not portable. I used to take my iphone or ipad all over the house. My echo is pretty much stationary given its plugged in.

If Alexa undertstood up and off more than 10% of the time, I wouldnt be so critical. My 'up' and 'off' sound nothing alike. My wife, my kid. No one could get them to work

And DIM works in place of 'DOWN' but no one tells you that. Down never works. Dim always does.

I'm working on a siri proxy through a rasp pii and homekit right now.Hoping to have a working demo in spring.

2 minutes ago, schrady said:

Ya ya. I get your point. For those of us DIYers who had Siri proxy, this is a let down for 5x the money. Siri proxy was nil $$ and its not portable. I used to take my iphone or ipad all over the house. My echo is pretty much stationary given its plugged in.

If Alexa undertstood up and off more than 10% of the time, I wouldnt be so critical. My 'up' and 'off' sound nothing alike. My wife, my kid. No one could get them to work

And DIM works in place of 'DOWN' but no one tells you that. Down never works. Dim always does.

I'm working on a siri proxy through a rasp pii and homekit right now.Hoping to have a working demo in spring.

...OK, but this ISN'T siriproxy, so stop judging it as if it were. This is a driver for Amazon Echo. Judge it based on how it integrates the Amazon Echo, not how the Amazon Echo compares to siri.

Good luck on your project, but as it isn't relevant to this product, please promote it in another thread. Your threadcrapping isn't constructive, it's rude and unfair.

9 minutes ago, schrady said:

If if the recognization rate is really that low, something else is wrong.

9 minutes ago, schrady said:

Actually, a simple search would have told you that "DIM" works.  Given that it's actually a light driver that makes sense.  It's not in the driver because for the Hue light driver dim == down.

Again, you may have something else going on.  I use UP and DOWN in about 20 of  my triggers and they work fine.  I don't know what my recognition rate is but I know (a) it has improved with use and (b) it's more like 90-something percent - no where near 10%

20 minutes ago, AnOutsider said:

...OK, but this ISN'T siriproxy, so stop judging it as if it were. This is a driver for Amazon Echo. Judge it based on how it integrates the Amazon Echo, not how the Amazon Echo compares to siri.

Good luck on your project, but as it isn't relevant to this product, please promote it in another thread. Your threadcrapping isn't constructive, it's rude and unfair.

Was careful not use use any words but on or off or Dim. Its UP that Alexa has a major issue with, thinking it means off. Overall a decent replica of what one can expect.

Very interesting... I would love to understand what some of us are getting wrong on up and down. I doubt that I even get a 10% success rate on up or down.  But on / off works perfectly as do mall my trigger words (except TV which stopped working a week ago).

Dim works perfectly for me although it is not intuitive for me to say "Dim xxx" where xxx is a playlist. Even "Turn xxx down" is not perfect but I trained myself in this :-) 

Is there a corresponding Alexa synonym for up? "Brighten" does not seem to work for me...

9 minutes ago, jfh said:

If if the recognization rate is really that low, something else is wrong.

Actually, a simple search would have told you that "DIM" works.  Given that it's actually a light driver that makes sense.  It's not in the driver because for the Hue light driver dim == down.

Again, you may have something else going on.  I use UP and DOWN in about 20 of  my triggers and they work fine.  I don't know what my recognition rate is but I know (a) it has improved with use and (b) it's more like 90-something percent - no where near 10%

I was reading the release instructions from the driver manufacturer, not the phillips hue manual you dolt. They dont mention Dim = down for triggers.

3 minutes ago, schrady said:

I was reading the release instructions from the driver manufacturer, not the phillips hue manual you dolt. They dont mention Dim = down for triggers.

The C4 driver events that are supported for each device are ON, OFF, UP and DOWN.  Why would you expect the driver documentation to mention DIM?   You want to know what the Echo can understand?  Read the Echo documentation.

Google "Amazon Echo dim".  Look at the entire first page of results.  Pretty damn obvious "dim" is supported.

I've been playing a little this evening (while following the entertainment on this forum) and found that the triggers "lights" and "room" work fairly well with up and down (above 50% with the problem being that Alexa mishears up as on or off some of the time). Other triggers like people's names (which is what I have for all my playlists - either family member names or artists names) never work... I need to think of a generic word for volume and use that as a separate device with up and down only... Will give this some thought! Maybe I will use "speakers".

Archived