C4 Forums | Control4

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, schrady said:

Would require AI in home automation and C4 is just not smart. It does what you tell it to do, it doesnt interpret or parse commands.

Interesting.   So your solution doesn't address the primary concerns with the Alexa driver you had such harsh words for ... :)

An Echo driver using AVS and a skill would allow you to develop a two way driver using natural/more flexible speech without requiring any native AI support in Control4. I haven't looked into any of the Siri / Apple APIs, but I suspect a programmer with an understanding of the architecture could develop a solution that didn't rely on the C4 controller doing AI.  

Your current approach clearly works, but I don't see any significant functionality over the current Alexa driver to make it worthwhile to switch.

21 hours ago, jfh said:

Interesting.   So your solution doesn't address the primary concerns with the Alexa driver you had such harsh words for ... :)

An Echo driver using AVS and a skill would allow you to develop a two way driver using natural/more flexible speech without requiring any native AI support in Control4. I haven't looked into any of the Siri / Apple APIs, but I suspect a programmer with an understanding of the architecture could develop a solution that didn't rely on the C4 controller doing AI.  

Your current approach clearly works, but I don't see any significant functionality over the current Alexa driver to make it worthwhile to switch.

I wasnt offering it to you. In my humble opinion Siri has better voice recognition that the echo. Its also portable and I can even control the house from my watch now. Echo was limited to where it could hear you. My solution travels with me.

On February 27, 2016 at 3:10 PM, schrady said:

In my humble opinion Siri has better voice recognition that the echo. Its also portable and I can even control the house from my watch now. Echo was limited to where it could hear you. My solution travels with me.

Humble?  Ummm ... OK.   

You didn't come here to have a discussion about which approach was better - you just trashed the existing Echo driver, implying you could do better in very little time.  The solution you showed offers no improvement over the existing Siri solutions and isn't substantively different than the current Echo solution (excluding the interface debate).  Implying the roadblock to VR command lies with C4 shows you didn't sufficiently research the existing issues and APIs.

You want to have a discussion about the merits of using Alexa vs. Siri?  Fine - start a thread on it.   The people using Ari's driver participating in this thread have already made that decision (or are evaluating it).   

I don't care that you aren't  offering it to me - I have zero interest in using a Siri based solution for many reasons. It's clear that some here are interested in a Siri approach, but you don't seem to be interested in sharing any information or starting another thread to discuss your solution.    That's too bad, because it might have shown you were interested in advancing C4 VR options rather than trashing someone else's effort to do just that, rather than simply trolling.

On 2/24/2016 at 11:23 AM, schrady said:

Hey guys,

Since JFH knows all about me and is an A+ control4 programmer, I'll let him post his SIri solution for you guys to see. Too bad he had to go off like that.

I coulda shared what I've done with Siri. Its almost no cost to you.

PS. I AM a C4 official programmer, have composer pro, and am legit with C4.

Legit C4 official programmer hacker wizard!!....

Not using homebridge...

"Your" solution...

:rolleyes:

https://c4drivers.wordpress.com/2015/10/28/homekit-for-control4/#comment-49

On February 24, 2016 at 3:41 PM, chopedogg88 said:

Anyways...in other news, and on a more positive note, we've got a new version of the driver that we have just released!  If you would like to update your system(s), you can download the driver and documentation from here:

Driver

Documentation

This new version has some key improvements:

1) Much better/more verbose debug logging in Composer...during device discovery, as well as when the trigger words are actually called from the Echo

2) Fixed a critical issue that we identified which was causing a problem with multiple echos in the same project and registered under different Amazon accounts (for example to get around the 30 device limitation per Echo account)

Enjoy and please let me know any feedback that you have on the driver itself or on the documentation...please keep it constructive :)

@chopedogg88  Does the driver automatically update, or do I need my dealer to install the update?

39 minutes ago, mandiola said:

Legit C4 official programmer hacker wizard!!....

Not using homebridge...

"Your" solution...

:rolleyes:

https://c4drivers.wordpress.com/2015/10/28/homekit-for-control4/#comment-49

LOL!  Busted.   Now we have proof he was just trolling here.  Nice find, though I stopped reading after the first four words ...

SCHRADY

Shit. I’m so stupid. It worked right after it dawned on me there were two instances running. Then I got your post.

Note that when updating the driver you should rerun discovery to force setting the "Triggers Discovered" property even if you already have the devices set up.  (Assuming you haven't done anything on the Amzon side, this will not change any previously defined events)

49 minutes ago, jfh said:

Note that when updating the driver you should rerun discovery to force setting the "Triggers Discovered" property even if you already have the devices set up.  (Assuming you haven't done anything on the Amzon side, this will not change any previously defined events)

Ok so my dealer remoted in and updated the driver but I have not bothered to reboot the controller yet. Does this mean that after I reboot my echo will stop working until I get round to Discovering devices again?

9 minutes ago, South Africa C4 user said:

Ok so my dealer remoted in and updated the driver but I have not bothered to reboot the controller yet. Does this mean that after I reboot my echo will stop working until I get round to Discovering devices again?

i am not sure this update actually took a reboot.

Just now, South Africa C4 user said:

Well I won't be trying rebooting tonight as I left my laptop at work and if a reboot suddenly stops Alexa working I will be in trouble... My wife has got very used to Alexa being the master in our bedroom.

another lady in the bedroom.... :P

1 hour ago, msgreenf said:

Dude - not cool @schrady - I asked a very specific question that you chose to lie about the answer.  Not cool.

Not that I have to answer to you clowns, but I have two Pi's going. The solution in the video is based off some work a guy named brutella started using the GO api.

The other method is a custom version of homekit and homebridge, although I don/t use that C4 driver or config file.

Get a better use of your lives.........

Sorry guys, clearly my warning was ignored.

To the OP of this post, you are more than welcomed to start a new thread. And if the same offenders come over to the new thread and start the same BS, their accounts will be suspended. Sorry I had to lock it out on you, but it's just time to start fresh with this thread. Warnings will be issued.

Thanks all!

• danlevine unlocked this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

I've started losing connection between the Amazon Echo and my controller.  If I go through the process of telling Alexa to search for devices and triggering "Resend Discovery," everything is fine again.  But, when I return again (after work, the next morning), I get an error that says please check network and power conditions when I try to execute a command.  Is it possible that an Echo update broke the driver?  Other thoughts?  Thanks in advance,

David

This happens to me if I power down my controller (or have a power cut). Very irritating. I suspect it may also happen if you reboot the controller using one of the various reboot / reset drivers that are available; however, I have not tried this to see. Having said that, I have the auto update driver installed from HouseLogix which does some sort of reset after updating drivers. This one has never caused that problem.

Is there anyway to remove the Philips hue hub from the echo. When I add new commands to the echo driver in c4 and discover devices it pulls all my Phillip hue bulbs I discovered before the driver was installed in c4.   Since there is a 30 command limit I want to remove them. Forget in the Alexa app removes them only until you go to rediscover added c4 commands. Also the 30 limit isn't terrible if you use all four commands. And commands I haven't seen anyone use is "my wife" or "for what". That way you can say turn on my wife and it dims the lights, turns on the fire place, and plays music. She found it "cute" for a solid 24 hours. And "turn down for what" starts my party mix and turns my hue lights to color cycle

Is there anyway to remove the Philips hue hub from the echo. When I add new commands to the echo driver in c4 and discover devices it pulls all my Phillip hue bulbs I discovered before the driver was installed in c4.   Since there is a 30 command limit I want to remove them. Forget in the Alexa app removes them only until you go to rediscover added c4 commands. Also the 30 limit isn't terrible if you use all four commands. And commands I haven't seen anyone use is "my wife" or "for what". That way you can say turn on my wife and it dims the lights, turns on the fire place, and plays music. She found it "cute" for a solid 24 hours. And "turn down for what" starts my party mix and turns my hue lights to color cycle

You can't prevent it from rediscovering other hue devices

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Archived