C4 Forums | Control4

OSX Composer

Elvis

It looks like Composer is going to be the only reason we are keeping Windows alive here at home. I would sure like to get rid of it. Although Microsoft has been very good to me, the frustration with Windows is too much. 

1 hour ago, C4RVA said:

Just run vmware fusion on your mac and make sure you have 8 gigs or better of ram. I run composer in the "Unity Mode" on OSX. is looks just like any other OS X app to me. 

https://www.vmware.com/products/fusion

i have run it in Fusion for years, but its still not the same as native. It is literally the only windows App I use.

On January 1, 2016 at 3:34 PM, C4RVA said:

Just run vmware fusion on your mac and make sure you have 8 gigs or better of ram. I run composer in the "Unity Mode" on OSX. is looks just like any other OS X app to me. 

https://www.vmware.com/products/fusion

Yes, I've used Fusion and currently just bootcamp into Windows. That's not the issue -- whether it is in a virtual machine or full boot, Windows is the issue. I'm going to resist the temptation to get on my soapbox, and just say that I've had enough of it.

While no more helpfull, I'll state here that it's NOT a simple matter of 'porting' the program over. Composer uses and requires 3rd party software that CANNOT run native to mac with no viable alternatives in particular for .NET framework. Yes there are certain options there - but they are missing essential parts.

Whether you're 'hooked' on Apple (or others) or not - the reality here is that any move to get Composer on Apple OS would likely need to see a complete re-write at the best of times. I wouldn't hold my breath.

Archived