C4 Forums | Control4

Control 4 - 8 Channel Dimmer modules.

More of heads/information up really for people in the UK or anywhere else for that matter.

Over the last few days several of my lights have started flickering. Dealer attended and stated it was one of the Control 4 supplied 8 channel dimmer packs.

He contacted Control 4 to order a new replacement. C4 stated that they have discontinued this module due to known problems with it.

I have 3 of these in my system and the system is only just over 3 years old :angry:

Apparently these are supplied by Mode Lighting. Dealer spoke with Mode Lighting regarding this issue and the fact C4 had discontinued using this module.

Tech support at Mode confirmed this but without admitting directly that there was an inherent problem with these units he did say there were known issues.

They offered to repair the defective unit but dealer states that can't happen as it would leave me with no lights.

These modules are £450 each from Mode( $650 at todays exchange rates). Dealer came to an agreement whereby Mode would send a replacement out at 55% discount (£195) and the old one has to be returned to them even though it is badged C4. Once they receive it they will then refund the £195. So effectively replaced by Mode Lighting for £0.

Dealer mentioned that there were 3 of these units in my system. All Mode would say was that they will deal with those when the need arises.

Like I said, just a heads up if people start to have this problem. You can still get these units from Mode Lighting. Hopefully the newer one will be of better quality.

Seriously? I just replaced a Crestron system with these modules.  One of the main reasons I went with C4.  I was very hesitant to go from Crestron which is rock solid to C4.  Now this?  Will there be a replacement?  Is C4 killing off its panelized lighting.   Major WTF????  

2 minutes ago, am350z said:

Seriously? I just replaced a Crestron system with these modules.  One of the main reasons I went with C4.  Will there me a replacement?  Is C4 killing off its panelized lighting.   Major WTF????

No idea. All I know is what my dealer told me. C4 tried to sell me something else to replace the units I have but it would have been at huge expense so I don't think they are killing it off, just using something else. Apparently there is a fault or the units aren't up to the required standard. Due to multiple complaints/failings C4 has decided to drop them, so I am led to believe, so we went down the actual manufacturer route of Mode Lighting. They wouldn't admit it out right but more or less accepted there was a problem. I have also had the same problem with Heatmiser and there actuated valves. Due to problems they no longer supply/produce them. I have 4 in my system and have replaced them all at some point over the last 3 years. One started leaking just before the xmas holidays. I have now had to remove them all and replace them with something else. I have now replaced them with a 5 port heating manifold.

I have to admit that apart from the audio/video side of the system I am regretting having C4 installed.

Something else?  Like replace the panelized system with a bank of switches or a new module?  Hopefully they are smart enough to find a new supplier quickly rather than just leave customers hanging.  The modules are still on their website.  Does the units you got from Mode lighting still integrate with your C4 system?  I almost just went with Lutron and let C4 do automation.  Guess I should have.  Any dealers here have customers with panelized lighting?   ARGHH!!!

54 minutes ago, am350z said:

Something else?  Like replace the panelized system with a bank of switches or a new module?  Hopefully they are smart enough to find a new supplier quickly rather than just leave customers hanging.  The modules are still on their website.  Does the units you got from Mode lighting still integrate with your C4 system?  I almost just went with Lutron and let C4 do automation.  Guess I should have.  Any dealers here have customers with panelized lighting?   ARGHH!!!

The unit from Mode is the same unit that C4 use. My dealer stated that Mode supply C4. I only found out yesterday about all the above info. At present I don't have the replacement unit. That will be sorted next week.

Well at least Mode is replacing them.  Hopefully, the units will be updated to address the issue or C4 will find a new supplier.  Kind of shocking that Control4 expected you to spend more money if they have a known defective unit. 

When the module arrives from Mode I will take a picture and post it here. At least we can then compare. C4 did try to sell me something else to replace my existing units but as I have 3 it was going to be far too expensive.

2 hours ago, am350z said:

Hmm.  I didn't know there was an older system.  Are there older modules than what is on the website?  The current panelized lighting system is also din rail mounted.  This is what I have C4-DIN-8DIM-Ehttp://www.control4.com/solutions/products/centralized-lighting-modules

What you posted am350z is the current system and i suspect this is what control4 tried to sell as a replacement.

The older system looked like this... http://www.habitech.co.uk/Control++Lighting/Mode+Lighting/Mode+eDIN+8-channel+Leading+Edge+dimmer+module++2A+max+per+channel_MOD-DIN-02-08.htm 

Just google Control4 Din Rail Lighting to see the old system.

It always sucks when things break down - I cannot speak for the product as such, but it worked for 3 years without issues, and one broke down.

Again, being 220v specific I do not know it well - but I have my suspicions on 'a cancelled module due to known issues' - it's more that a whole and complete C4 panalized lighting system was done from the ground up.

I also doubt it would have required replacing all 3 if only one broke down?

Thanks.  I was not aware there was a ground up rebuild of the panelized lighting.  Good to know.  I will say when I did the install I was very impressed with the product.  Build quality seems exceptional, actually much nicer than the Crestron units it replaced.    

22 hours ago, Cyknight said:

It always sucks when things break down - I cannot speak for the product as such, but it worked for 3 years without issues, and one broke down.

Again, being 220v specific I do not know it well - but I have my suspicions on 'a cancelled module due to known issues' - it's more that a whole and complete C4 panalized lighting system was done from the ground up.

I also doubt it would have required replacing all 3 if only one broke down?

I can't make any comment as of yet until I speak with my dealer. I am not sure if the old unit is interchangeable with the new units that control 4 supply. When I last spoke with my dealer he gave me the impression that I would need to replace all 3 if I went with the new units supplied by control 4. Hence the reason he contacted Mode Lighting. I will update when I learn more info.

Archived