C4 Forums | Control4

GE Concord V4 question.......

Does anyone know how to activate the alarm system to "Away" mode remotely via 4Sight? My problem is that if someone is actually leaving when I arm it it's fine because an exterior door is opened, so the system "sees" that someone has left the premises. What I'm trying to do is arm it to Away without having to open an exterior door. Is there a way to trick the system into thinking an exterior door has been opened? My problem is my kids or the housekeeper occasionally forgets to set the alarm but when I go in to set it to Away, the system automatically detects no exterior door being opened and sets it to "Stay" mode. Any thoughts???? Thanks

Yup, this is a setting called the "Auto Stay Arming Feature". It monitors the house when it's been armed to away and if no exterior door is opened it reverts to stay. It's part of an overall industry effort to reduce false alarms (which account for some enormous percentage of alarm calls, like 99% or something incredible.

The idea behind it is that, in the absence of a logical explanation like arming the house from outside, if the system sees "Arm to Away" and then no exterior door is opened, then it would be reasonable to conclude that the person arming the system has stayed in the house and must have intended to press Arm to Stay.

To get around this, you'd actually need to ask your dealer to change that setting. My dealer was able to do so remotely. Took a few phone calls to get it done, but now we can arm it from outside of the house, or arm to away when someone wants the added security of motion detectors (and will be in locations that won't trip motion sensors).

Hope that helps!

--Jason

• 4 months later...

It's not a user-programmable feature unfortunately. It's something your alarm dealer will need to program for you. Since the intent is to reduce false alarms, they sort of want to limit the frequency with which people turn it off. But in this case (arming from an external interface) it makes perfect sense.

We had them turn it off for both the reasons stated below -- to occasionally be able to arm at night using motion sensors, and also to be able to arm with a key press from the garage, for example. In both instances the lack of a delay door opening and closing after arming would have reverted to the Arm to Stay state.

Just ask your alarm dealer to disable it, and explain why. I suspect they'll have no problem with it.

• 3 years later...

Did you ever figure out how to modify this setting so as to allow arming your system to AWAY remotely? My concern is if you forget to ARM TO AWAY before leaving your house for a trip and want to turn it on (not just ARM TO STAY) using 4SIGHT....

drmark1pa, see my two posts above. It's simple, but it's a dealer programmed feature. You need to have your alarm dealer disable the AutoStayArming feature.

I'm curious whether using Alarm.com's mobile app has any impact on this since it's much more logical that someone would use that from outside the house to arm their system. I suspect it's the same situation because the panel either has AutoStayArming on or it doesn't, but it's at least an easy-to-explain reason to ask your alarm dealer to turn off the feature.

--Jason

I think after combing my manual and trying to ARM TO AWAY remotely without going into the SYSTEM PROGRAMMING menu (where I was stuck last night until it apparently timed out overnight so I could arm again) the best way to do this is the ARM TO AWAY with NO DELAY by pressing the 4 button after hitting ARM TO AWAY..... It has stayed in ARM TO AWAY for me using this method today....

It's not too hard to have your dealer modify the Concord4 driver and add an additional virtual button that sends the _Keyfob Arm to Away_ sequence that will Arm to Away without a zone open/close

DrDSL,

When you say virtual button, do you mean a button on the onscreen Control4 display or like a button command?

The security panel onscreen display is missing the A,B,C,and D buttons that are on the actual physical GE panel and those would be beneficial to have as well if you are talking an onscreen panel.

I would like something that would be easy to ARM TO AWAY if you forget to arm when leaving as many of my lights and thermostat control are tied to whether the GE Concord is ARMED TO AWAY vs. at home (ie when I ARM TO AWAY I have certain lights turn off and on at different times and also turn the thermostat way down)....

At least I was able to figure out the NO DELAY works for ARM TO AWAY without reverting to ARM TO STAY if you don't trip a door sensor on the way out.

Archived