C4 Forums | Control4

opinions on Darbee?

vstar

LOL 'soap opera'.

You mean the effect that clarifies the image to where it's so natural some people find it 'too real' or 'no longer feels like a movie'?

Then yes it would be the same. This is something by the way you'll likely start seeing more of, not less (ie not a fad but likely to eventually become the norm). It's no different then when HD (or even non HD plasma) was initially introduced and many people though it looked 'wrong' because they were so used to the 'graininess' smudging edges, hiding how many wrinkles someone had and poor make-up.

No clue on the device itself mind you, don't know it.

18 hours ago, Cyknight said:

LOL 'soap opera'.

You mean the effect that clarifies the image to where it's so natural some people find it 'too real' or 'no longer feels like a movie'?

Then yes it would be the same. This is something by the way you'll likely start seeing more of, not less (ie not a fad but likely to eventually become the norm). It's no different then when HD (or even non HD plasma) was initially introduced and many people though it looked 'wrong' because they were so used to the 'graininess' smudging edges, hiding how many wrinkles someone had and poor make-up.

No clue on the device itself mind you, don't know it.

yep that is the effect i am referring to exactly, I bought a LG LED TV a couple years ago and it was like that, everything looked like it was shot with a home camcorder, it was kinda amusing at first but i found eventually found it annoying because every other display device in the house was not like that so i turned it off, they called it something else other than darbee, may have been as simple as "image enhancement" but i cant remember exactly off the top of my head.

might be interesting to try it again though, the external boxes are relatively inexpensive ($200 USD), might look good on a projector? having the flexibility to turn it on and off through 1 ir code may make it more easily manageable than having to go into setup of video device and through menus and turn it off, not exactly speedy if switching between movies and TV and or game consoles, seems to be pretty popular to be used with game consoles.

sometimes change is always hard at first like you pointed out when HD first hit the scene, very excellent point Cyknight, thanks.

24 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

Epson projectors have this as well - super resolution it's called there.

good to know, thanks. what prompted my thread and curiosity was i saw costco.ca (Costco Canada) had a optoma model (HD28DSE) on sale for $250 off till jan 31(pretty descent deal IMO) and it was toting the DarbeeVision, i just bought a benq w1070 a week ago (because my old optoma sadly developed a stuck pixel in the middle of the screen that drove me nuts very quickly, also a good excuse to upgrade from 720p to 1080p finally) and was vaguely contemplating getting the new optoma darbee instead of the benq but i think it might be more desirable to stick with the benq as it seems to get excellent reviews (for a sub $1000 1080p projector) and buy the external darbee box to play with. The benq also has a serial port which was nice for c4 integration (thanks to Alans driver he posted) as I prefer serial or IP control over IR any day. i know the serial port should not be a deciding factor but it is just a bonus, the benq seems to be a pretty descent little inexpensive projector, i just hope i do not develop the fan bearing issues that seem to be pretty common with this model. 

Archived