C4 Forums | Control4

DirectorState.xml formatting

frieze

It seems to me that all the configuration of my control4 system is in the /etc/DirectorState.xml file. However this file has some weird formatting issues. Some of the angle brackets are in regular ascii, while others (e.g. the ones in lighting scenes) are url escaped as > and <. Additionally there don't appear to be line breaks anywhere. If I added the appropriate indenting and removed these escapes (to make editing easier) would it break the file for my control4 system? Anyone tried doing this?

--Mark

I see. Looks like all and only the stuff in the <state> tags needs to be escaped. Other than that it doesn't look that fierce. Given the strength of the currently available xml libraries anyway. Has anyone tried writing their own editor before?

On a related note: Do the line break positions matter? There seems to be some pattern to them, but not an easy one to process. It looks to me like there are a bunch of tags that have newlines after them, but it'd require a tedious amount of regexp work to format a newly generated xml file that way. Just wondering if that's something that would break director, or if director uses a standard xml library that will parse out non-escaped newlines.

Archived