C4 Forums | Control4

New EA Series Controllers

Matt Lowe

1 hour ago, control4user007 said:

Yea I see that, maybe more IO/dedicated audio processing differentiates ?  Any idea on pricing difference ?

On EA1 audio takes away from the main processor, on 3 it does not - that is one difference, beyond that yes it's i/o differences.

Understand that the EA1's primary purpose is as a single room system setup - and is limited and priced for that purpose.

• 1 month later...

Marketing material is restricted info?

Control4 management must really be paranoid.   If I hadn't read it here, I would have known almost nothing about the EA series.  Despite my dealer giving known I was interested in the (then rumored) new controllers, I have heard *zip* about them from my dealer other than "we'll tell you when we know something".

(I realize C4 doesn't own this site and the owners can set any rules they want, but still ...)

24 minutes ago, jfh said:

Marketing material is restricted info?

Control4 management must really be paranoid.   If I hadn't read it here, I would have known almost nothing about the EA series.  Despite my dealer giving known I was interested in the (then rumored) new controllers, I have heard *zip* about them from my dealer other than "we'll tell you when we know something".

(I realize C4 doesn't own this site and the owners can set any rules they want, but still ...)

I don't see where cytex said marketing materials was banned. dealer-specific, AKA stuff you have to have a dealer login to view is not OK.

Well, I didn't keep a copy of the now deleted past, but I don't remember anything that should have been dealer only info.

Since C4 has no customer/end user forum pretty much anything useful to the people that actually buy their products is walled off in the dealer forums.  The vast majority of successful companies don't actively withhold information from their customers.

I suspect it's just the fact that the copied data was not pulled from Control4's corporate site, but from the dealer side of the site.

I think the owners just want to ensure they stay on the 'right side of the line' without any confusion as to where something is coming from.

No, the data is not classified, and Control4 isn't paranoid about end-users knowing the specs of controllers, as they're listed here:

http://www.control4.com/docs/product/ea-5/data-sheet/english/latest/ea-5-data-sheet-rev-a.pdf

http://www.control4.com/docs/product/ea-3/data-sheet/english/latest/ea-3-data-sheet-rev-a.pdf

http://www.control4.com/docs/product/ea-1/data-sheet/english/latest/ea-1-data-sheet-rev-a.pdf

http://www.control4.com/docs/product/hc-800/data-sheet/english/latest/hc-800-data-sheet-rev-b.pdf

http://www.control4.com/docs/product/hc-250/data-sheet/english/latest/hc-250-data-sheet-rev-b.pdf

I don't remember, but I think what may have been posted before was a Control4 dealer-specific 'how to size a system' type comparison chart, which has all this information summarized with the older controllers.

I don't think that's necessarily classified, either, but it is more meant for a guideline for dealers than end users.

RyanE

Sorry, "paranoid" was a poor wording choice on my part.  

But there's still way too much info that's walled off that would benefit end users ... Other than pricing or release date info, there's no good reason to hide technical info from end users.  C4 is the only company I own products from that gives me no access to tech data/discussion.

1 hour ago, thegreatheed said:

Do you not see the five links in the comment above you?

Yes.  That's marketing material, not technical data/discussion/bulletins.

4 minutes ago, thegreatheed said:

90% of what was in the doc that was taken down is linked above.

That is NOT "no access to tech data".

You clearly missed my major point which was not specifically about the information in this thread, but about what C4 withholds from end users.

(and you made my point, because the other 10% certainly didn't involve anything proprietary)

You clearly missed my major point which was not specifically about the information in this thread, but about what C4 withholds from end users.

(and you made my point, because the other 10% certainly didn't involve anything proprietary)

It's no different from Crestron, AMX, or others.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, funnyfarm299 said:

It's no different from Crestron, AMX, or others.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Doesn't make it right.  And I was comparing the practice to just abou every other software and equipment manufacturer outside the HA arena.    

Continuing to shut out end users from technical information and discussion is not conducive to long term success.  That approach may have been successful 15-20 years ago.  Any company still using that model is acknowledging they cannot succeed without artificial market constraints in place.  

The more you tightly control access to information today the more likely you are to be relagated to a niche market or be doomed to a downward spiral.  The first HA company that realizes this will most likely gain market share and force the others to follow, just as has happened countless times in the broader marketplace.  

If every dealer was like Cyknight and some of the others here, maybe it wouldn't be a big deal.  But clearly there are the exceptions to the rule.  On of these days C4 will figure that out.

40 minutes ago, thegreatheed said:

Your stated point was that Control4 gives you NO access to tech data and that is false.

Ok - where is Control4's end user version of the dealer forum?   If I've missed it somehow, I apologize.

Any "tech data" in marketing material is still marketing material. ;)

5 minutes ago, thegreatheed said:

You have still failed to make the point that you get NO tech data. You are arguing that you don't get ALL tech data.

Show me where I can get tech data directly from C4 without having to beg a third party (e.g. a dealer).  

Unless you can do that, all you are doing is making my point for me.

Archived