C4 Forums | Control4

New EA Series Controllers

Matt Lowe

Just now, thegreatheed said:

5 links in this thread. tech specs ARE tech data.

And yet you have had multiple posts to show me how/where I can access the end user version to the majority of the tech info in the dealer database and failed to do so.

I presume you arent as dense as you are coming off, so you must simply not understand or want to admit the obvious - Control4 does not make the tech data most useful to Control4 customers available directly.   This is done to prop up the dealer model by forcing a customer to use a dealer as a gateway for information and that only benefits dealers that probably aren't very good in the first place.

Holy off-topic, batman. I don't doubt some customers are smart enough to use technical information for good.

However, you're missing a huge reason why giving access is a terrible idea. Most customers who try to fix or modify their own system make things worse. And you know who they blame when things go wrong? The dealer. That's why we never offer Composer HE unless the customer specifically asks for it. Two button presses can wipe an entire system clean.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, jfh said:

I can access the end user version to the majority of the tech info in the dealer database and failed to do so.

I have never claimed the end user can access the MAJORITY of the tech info. You claimed the end user gets ZERO tech info. I said they can get SOME tech data.

If you want to argue with someone that the end user should get MORE tech data, go do it with someone else. I don't care to have that argument. But you said the end user gets ZERO tech data, and I disputed that point, and that point only. Don't try to 'strengthen' your argument by using absolutes and making up things like 'users get NO tech data'. That's patently false. I've made my point several times. If you want to continue to be obtuse, that is your choice.

17 minutes ago, funnyfarm299 said:

However, you're missing a huge reason why giving access is a terrible idea. Most customers who try to fix or modify their own system make things worse. And you know who they blame when things go wrong? The dealer. That's why we never offer Composer HE unless the customer specifically asks for it. Two button presses can wipe an entire system clean.

Really?  You're  going with "I don't want my customer to have access to information because I'm scared they might blame me if they do some thing stupid?"   Good thing no librarian I know would ever think that's a good idea.

The customers that screw it up are going to know THEY screwed it up, so if they blame it on the dealer that's on them.  (And then they still probably have to pay the dealer to fix it, so the dealer still comes out ahead).

Your argument is like saying no one should have access to rope because they might make a noose and hang themselves.

17 minutes ago, thegreatheed said:

I have never claimed the end user can access the MAJORITY of the tech info. You claimed the end user gets ZERO tech info. I said they can get SOME tech data.

So - where is it I can get "SOME tech data" directly from C4 that isn't contained in their marketing material?  If you show me that I'm missing something obvious, I'll concede the point.

Your reasoning only works if you consider marketing material == tech data/discussion, which I do not (nor would most technical professionals or marketing managers for that matter).

1 minute ago, jfh said:

So - where is it I can get "SOME tech data" directly from C4 that isn't contained in their marketing material?  If you show me that I'm missing something obvious, I'll concede the point.

Your reasoning only works if you consider marketing material == tech data/discussion, which I do not (nor would most technical professionals or marketing managers for that matter).

There's a whole page of specs on those data sheets. If you don't consider that tech data, you're just wrong.

34 minutes ago, thegreatheed said:

There's a whole page of specs on those data sheets. If you don't consider that tech data, you're just wrong.

It must be wonderful for you to be able to deal with a C4 system without access to any data other than what you can find in a marketing brochure.  If you are a dealer, why bother with any other "tech data" when you can just print out the glossies and hand them to the customers that spend tens of thousands of dollars with you?  If that's all anyone would be interested in or have access to, think of the money C4 could save by just deleting everything else ...

LOL!  Thanks for making my point better than I did.

4 minutes ago, jfh said:

It must be wonderful for you to be able to deal with a C4 system without access to any data other than what you can find in a marketing brochure.  If you are a dealer, why bother with any other "tech data" when you can just print out the glossies and hand them to the customers that spend tens of thousands of dollars with you?  If that's all anyone would be interested in or have access to, think of the money C4 could save by just deleting everything else ...

LOL!  Thanks for making my point better than I did.

You're making my point, and proving yours wrong. Your previous, incorrect statement said that customers get zero tech data. If there's even some attach to the 'glossies' then you're wrong.

I'VE MADE NO POINTS AS TO WHETHER CUSTOMERS NEED MORE OR LESS TECH DATA. I'm not sure you even read my responses at this point...

Archived