C4 Forums | Control4

OS 2.81

Matt Lowe

I will add release notes as i come by them

Currently

New EA series controllers will be running android OSD

New native apple watch app.

BEAUTIFUL NEW HOME SCREEN & WATCH EXPERIENCE

Moving away from Flash, the new EA Series line delivers a beautiful, new home screen running on Android. The EA Series controllers deliver a faster, more responsive on-screen experience and an all-new modern, horizontal layout on the home screen.

OS 2.8.1 also delivers new icons that more accurately represent entertainment devices in the Watch menu. If a homeowner has an Apple TV, they see an Apple TV icon. The new Roku driver also makes it easy to jump right to Netflix, Hulu or any of the other channels.

Any one who has updated To 2.8 with me don't forget to message me for your free update.

46 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

o they don't - the OSD runs on android as opposed to Flash)

How does that work exactly?  I thought android was an OS?  Or maybe its a VM or something running in busy box? 

Also, any chance that the new UI will come to the HC-800/250?  I have (2) HC-800's and a 250 for about a year now (very fast), so probably won't be upgrading anytime soon.

34 minutes ago, control4user007 said:

How does that work exactly?  I thought android was an OS?  Or maybe its a VM or something running in busy box? 

Also, any chance that the new UI will come to the HC-800/250?  I have (2) HC-800's and a 250 for about a year now (very fast), so probably won't be upgrading anytime soon.

Many people thing Android = Android OS as in phones - I 'warned' against that thought several times already, it's not (never ;)) that simple.

And I'd say there is 0 chance of the new OSD coming to older controllers - they may or may not 'update' that OSD (I have my doubts) with newer options etc, but it won't match the EA style.

7 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Many people thing Android = Android OS as in phones - I 'warned' against that thought several times already, it's not (never ;)) that simple.

And I'd say there is 0 chance of the new OSD coming to older controllers - they may or may not 'update' that OSD (I have my doubts) with newer options etc, but it won't match the EA style.

I already ran the update at my house. HC-250 OSD has the horizontal layout now. NVM, I'm an idiot

3 hours ago, funnyfarm299 said:

I already ran the update at my house. HC-250 OSD has the horizontal layout now

I'm also now on 2.8.1 and my HC-250 OSD is still the older style, not the new horizontal layout. I'm interested as to what you did differently.

1 hour ago, mallom said:

Could you please post a picture? 

9 minutes ago, THawes said:

I'm also now on 2.8.1 and my HC-250 OSD is still the older style, not the new horizontal layout. I'm interested as to what you did differently.

Wait, I may have derped. I'll check again when I get home,but I know the icons did change to the new style.

1 hour ago, funnyfarm299 said:

Wait, I may have derped. I'll check again when I get home,but I know the icons did change to the new style.

Older controllers will NOT have the line at this time - or perhaps ever? (though they will have the new icons)

6 hours ago, RyanE said:

As the older controllers don't have Android-compatible hardware, nor 1080 compatible hardware, they likely won't be getting the "new UI".

RyanE

As I am still using a 720 TV through a Sony 1800 AVR, will the 1080p UI cause problems or will the EA or the AVR downscale it to 720?

Just now, SMHarman said:

As I am still using a 720 TV through a Sony 1800 AVR, will the 1080p UI cause problems or will the EA or the AVR downscale it to 720?

The new controller will check your EDID and set itself to 720p/1080i/1080p as appropriate

I am trying to get to 2.8.1.514313, but I am receiving the following error...

"Web service soap call failed.  Error was: Unable to connect to the Web Service.  Verify network connections and try again.  Fault = Try Again
Unable to authorize update.  Connection to the authentication server failed: licenseUrl = https://services.control4.com/Security/v1_0/Licensing.asmx?wsdl, targetVersion = 2.8.1.514313-res, myVersion = 2.8.0.512161-res, myCommonName = control4_hc800_myMACaddress, rc = 28

Any idea?

1 hour ago, mav3r1ck said:

"Web service soap call failed.  Error was: Unable to connect to the Web Service.  Verify network connections and try again.  Fault = Try Again
Unable to authorize update.  Connection to the authentication server failed: licenseUrl = https://services.control4.com/Security/v1_0/Licensing.asmx?wsdl, targetVersion = 2.8.1.514313-res, myVersion = 2.8.0.512161-res, myCommonName = control4_hc800_myMACaddress, rc = 28

Any idea?

That usually means that the director you are connected to is not registered on the Control4 owner's website.

Thanks for your reply, but that's not it. The controller is registered. I also did all the previous updates without any problems.

Update: fixed it... It seemed the controller was having problems in resolving the web service address, so I entered the google dns entries (8.8.8.8) instead of my router's gateway address.. Update is currently running! 

• 1 year later...
On 1/27/2016 at 7:02 AM, mav3r1ck said:

Any idea?

just got the same issue updating from 2.9.0 - 2.9.1...editing dns entry to 8.8.8.8 WORKED!

Thanks

Archived