C4 Forums | Control4

Media Server, with full integration for 1.3.2 and 1.6

natNrik

Hi my name is Rick I started my journey as a Control4 end user. My system was installed using the first equipment Control4 shipped. With the discontinuation of the 777 changer I thought it might be time to break my silence about a project I started a few years ago. I was not satisfied with the thought of having to have several different changers to handle my collection of DVD’s. So I decided to explore some of the different options in the area of a media server. I bought a few of them and only found them to be very expensive and difficult to use and lacked the integration capability of the 777 with Control4.

So I decided that I would find a way to change all of that. And now it’s time that others are able to gain from what we have developed. The Company we formed is based in South Jordan, Utah we named it Zatabit, Inc. after the term “Zettabyte” wiki describes this word as

“A zettabyte (symbol ZB, derived from the SI prefix zetta-) is a unit of information or computer storage equal to one sextillion (one long scale trilliard) bytes.”.

We did this because we wanted to create a server capable of all the storage a person could want. And for the past few years we have developed a suitable replacement for the 777. We are currently seeking Control4 certified installers to start our public release. We currently offer two way IP drivers including metadata integration for 1.3.2 and 1.6. If you are interested we will be offering some sweet deals on your show room models. Drop by and visit us http://zatabit.com/.

You can playback stored content from the server and deliver up to 10 streams using the optional Zatabit Clients. Or the Zatabit includes a DVD player in each machine that lets you Play CDs or DVDs locally. I will get pictures as well as screen shots posted shortly.

Forwardslash & tebery, because our drivers were developed for Control4 and other home automation systems they are dependent on an authorized dealer to install. So at this time it is not possible for an end user to participate without having a dealer involved. If you meet the criteria you can request an application by going to http://www.zatabit.com.

Sweet!! I am looking forward to learning more and will definitely ask my dealer about this. Thank you for doing this. Also amazing it can be iphone controlled

These seem to be a lot of the features that we have been waiting for C4 to develop on their own (photo browsing, video file playback, iphone control). May I ask what your R&D budget was?

Regarding your question about R&D, although I am not approved to release that information I can tell you that a % of each machine is set aside to continue development on our products and you can look forward to many new features in the months and years to come.

• 1 month later...

How long have you been able to realistically leave your PC on without a reboot? How easily are you able to share your PC with other locations in the house? Are those devices meant to stay on 24/7? Linux is what the world spins on...Sat boxes, Cable Boxes, Control4, Servers...

The point is you can be a hobbyist and always have your hands in your PC or you can have a professional device designed to work without any interference or control from Microsoft or any other operating system. Yes you interface with Linux through a PC or Mac to add/alter content but the machine itself is LINUX.

Thank you InnSolAV.

The system is built on a Linux platform and is meant just to organize and play media. If you want to compress the media you store you can. The Zatabit can play just about any format of media you have. It will upscale a standard DVD resolution to 1080P. It has full RS-232 and IP interface to enable independent control by any home control system. Because the system was built with home automation in mind we display all changes made to your video content and or the metadata and push it to the home control system within a matter of seconds. We also have a web interface that allows you to change the look and feel. ID3 tag editing including images to the ID3, metadata for Videos, picture tagging etc. I hope this helps.

How long have you been able to realistically leave your PC on without a reboot? How easily are you able to share your PC with other locations in the house? Are those devices meant to stay on 24/7? Linux is what the world spins on...Sat boxes, Cable Boxes, Control4, Servers...

The point is you can be a hobbyist and always have your hands in your PC or you can have a professional device designed to work without any interference or control from Microsoft or any other operating system. Yes you interface with Linux through a PC or Mac to add/alter content but the machine itself is LINUX.

My HTPC has only been rebooted for updates that required them, other than that it is on 24/7 and is solely for media storage/playback. Sharing with other locations is just as easy as any other av device -- select it from the navigator and c4 does the matrix switching necessary.

Since you mention it I've actually had to reboot my cable box more times than my HTPC. Professional device? You can build one with PC hardware or server hardware, other than that how is it any different? Linux is but an operating system, and it does have flaws, its a widely used platform because it's size, customizeable, and of course free. Also, last time I checked, there were a few servers out there that actually run Microsoft.

I'm not trying to turn this into a debate at all, I was simply trying to get some info on the device as I am a av dealer/customer. I'd like to see screanshots of the devices interface, all that is on the website so far is the mobile interface. Do you have any pricepoint to provide to us at this time? MSRP? And one more question, can you simultaneously stream digital 5.1 or 7.1 along with 2 channel audio?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Zatabit can stream 7.1 digital and analog with the use of an adapter.

Were you able to make it to Cedia? Control4's main booth had Zatabit demoed. It was shown at another booth which had 2 locations. One used Zatabit the other used a microsoft product. Zatabit was viewed by many a dealer while the other product was unplugged and a Blu-ray was used instead, audio issues of some sort.

If you weren't at Cedia I am sure pricing can be rounded up for you.

Archived