C4 Forums | Control4

Ps3

takitezsdc

I just put in a new PS3 into my system and have Control4 controling it.

With help from my dealer we were able to put in a driver to allow me to use the C4 remote to use the Blu-ray player.

My question is, has anyone done anything eles to integrate the PS3 into the system that I dont know about? Anything cool? /smile

I also noticed the PS3 has an option to scan for a media server? BUT when I scan it does not pick up any servers. Why does it not see my Mediacontroler? Can i enable it to see it?

What other things have you all done with the PS3 to make it a more userfriendly device, within C4? Stream music? Vids? Anything?

Thanks in advance!

Scott

What are you using as an IR to BT converter?

I am using the IR blaster that came with the HTC / Media Controler. The PS3 has a IR on it........so you just paste the IR blaster to the PS3 and you are GTG!

Scott

OUCH!!! I never even tested it !!! I did not have my reading glasses on when I hooked up the IR blaster hahahhahaah I turned 40 last week, so bare with me!! /smile

I thought the red light in the front of the PS3 was the IR !!! woooops

hummmm.........

I have not used this with control 4 but we did use it with a MX-900 and MRF350 RF base by universal remote control. It has and IR receiver / charging crade and IR remote. It plugs into the USB port on the front of the PS3. you can learn the IR comands to control 4 and connect a IR flasher form you controller to the IR receiver. This allow you to send IR commands to the IR receiver to control your PS3 for viewing your bluray disc or DVD. It does not have control to power on and off the the PS3. I have not tested this with every movie out there. From our experience with the few movies we played at some trade shows we did not have any problems.

The only question is what was sony thinking with only having bluetooth? Maybe someday everyone will think of the custom industry when they design thier products

http://www.playmessiah.com/products/ps3/darklite-dvd-remote.htm

• 4 weeks later...

I'm using the Nyko ($25 at Fry's) and it works fine for everything except Power-on/off (it can't do it). AFAIK, only the ir2bt can power off the PS3 and they seem to be hand made in batches and are never available.

Aside: I've been burned twice by total silence on the output of the PS3. Make sure the audio output format is set correctly in PS3 setup/config. If you hear the clicks from the UI, you're good. (Why twice? I set it up with a Pioneer 53tx a year ago and when I moved it to the new house (and a Denon 4308) I had forgotten about the problem (and the solution) until after I re-derived it).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I recently picked up a PS3 to be used 95% as a Blu-ray disc player. Wow; it loads Blu-rays as fast as DVD's!

My next project was video; SimpleCenter software [www.simplecenter.com] works awesome for streaming Xvid content; looks HD to my eyes.

Finally I wish to integrate it with C4. The IR2BT [http://ir2bt.com] is discontinued. As of November 3rd 2008 the IR4BTci replaced it at $150. Even engadget reported it....power sensing with the USB, upgradeable firmware and custom macros with RS232; is it worth the premium?

The other contender is the ps3toothfairy at $89, updated November 5th 2008. http://www.ps3toothfairy.com

No voltage sensing, but it works.....?

Other web searching provides mixed outcomes/success with cheaper adapter solutions. Comments please?

After doing a lot of reading, i am going to go with the cheaper schmart version. it doesnt turn on, however that is no big deal, as you will most often need to put the disc in anyways. the ir2btci is nice, however it costs 38% of the total cost of the PS3? to me, a peripheral isnt worth that much.

• 2 weeks later...

When it comes to full (100%) control within Control4 - we use the PS3IR-PRO - yes it's expensive, but it's the only thing that gives 100% control and that's usually what most customers want. HERE in this community - I'd suggest the sister product of this, which is 1/3rd of the cost, but does NOT have discrete power on / off commands.

• 6 months later...

My dealer suggested using the PS3ToothFairy, which uses the guts from the PS3 remote. I went ahead with that one, will let everyone know how it works out when it gets here. Full control, including On/Off.

• 9 months later...

Archived