C4 Forums | Control4

Moving a project to a new controller

jfh

Question

My production controller is an HC-800 running 2.8.1 and I have a local backup

1) If I have a working HC-250 running 2.8.1 that is not defined in my project (i.e. New), can I restore the backup from the 800 on to the 250?  

2) same question as 1 except the target would be an new 800.

I would like to have a programming sandbox since I can't use a virtual director and would not have run/connect both controllers on at the same time.  I know some 3rd party drivers would need new keys because of the a MAC address differences.

3 answers to this question

not sure how well this would work.

will you have both controllers running?

you would need a different project as the hc250 would need to be identified as the director.

not sure how 2 way ip drivers would play with this

zigbee would most definitely not work.

for all the trouble i would run everything on the main controller, as long as you dont do 1 second timers and get caught up in an auto start infinite loop you should be okay running changes on a live system other than annoying others in the house.

not sure how well this would work.

will you have both controllers running?

you would need a different project as the hc250 would need to be identified as the director.

not sure how 2 way ip drivers would play with this

zigbee would most definitely not work.

for all the trouble i would run everything on the main controller, as long as you dont do 1 second timers and get caught up in an auto start infinite loop you should be okay running changes on a live system other than annoying others in the house.

That's a really good point that I didn't consider. IP drivers really depend on the device. For example, Denon receivers HATE having more than one control session at a time. On the other hand, DirecTV would be perfectly fine with it.

Another thing to consider would be tracking device status. But Matt is right, any changes could be tested perfectly fine on a production controller. Just backup often.

Virtual Director isn't an option for you I guess?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Archived