C4 Forums | Control4

My Movies - Opening Integration for End-Users

Binnerup

Hi all,

After serious considerations, we at My Movies have decided to come back on the exclusive usage of the My Movies API and therefore the Control4 integration for professionals, which was added with the release of My Movies 5.

This means that after My Movies 5.21, the API and Control4 integration in My Movies is now once again available to end users with 2500 points on more on their user account.

The API was originally locked down due to incorrect usage by professionals that did not join our installer program, and while the block have helped this situation some, it have not resolved it, and have lead mainly to frustrating end-users who could not purchase this option directly, and had to persuade their dealer to join our installer program, often based on a single installation.

Professionals is still required to be part of our installer program to install and supply our software professionally, but end-users can now also receive the driver from their dealer, and set this up themselves.

Best regards,

Brian Binnerup
My Movies

Biggest issue i had with MyMovies was support for single files, mkv-s and such. Movie was recognized but i had to edit every single one because there was no second disk or extras disk. If you have a big collection on discs than it's fine. If you have big collection of mkv, mp4, m2ts or similar files Kodi or Plex is better solution.

Sent from my LG G2

2 minutes ago, 9800pro said:

Biggest issue i had with MyMovies was support for single files

The software today have both disc based profiles and generic movie profiles, where you can choose which to use.

You can also choose if you have files in individual folders, or all files in one folder.

But I believe the Control4 driver only supports the original disc based data.

Our solution have historically been designed with full discs in mind, but have moved over time.

1 hour ago, msgreenf said:

Sounds like having professionals setup your solution didn't work out financially for you

I would not say that - I think the market as such is more difficult these days - it is not due to personal vs. professional.

But providing this exclusively for professionals did not resolve the issues we had with professionals installing against our license terms. Many things have been done over the years to ensure that professionals follows the terms, but it seems that it is ignored no matter what we do :-)

29 minutes ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

People have moved on and can use Kodi for art work and also Plex.

Glad you have come back round, could be like closing the gate after the horse as bolted.

There are certainly no problems with users moving solutions - many of our users have been on Windows Media Center, which is no longer available.

The software stores meta-data for Kodi / XBMC, and have done that for many years - we would love to support Plex as well, but it is closed land.

I think the place where our solution differs, also to Kodi and Plex users are when users would like a little more influence in the accuracy of their data.

Brian,

I love MYMovies and have been able to use all the time.

However over last years when my dealer as been doing installs, he was not able to use and moved a lot of customers onto

Kodi not only giving them a cheaper media player, but a system with flexibility (Music, Photos, Video Add ons etc).

I agree the industry as moved a long way in short time frame and hopefully your move will increase the use of My Movies more - Good Luck.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This whole new online synchronization thing--which if it fails you have no use of the software, is really ridiculous.

This reminds me of the import from DVD Profiler I had all kinds of issues with 2-3 years ago, I think it ran forever too, and when it completes, basically sorry it didn't work.  No indication where the error is.

Sorry to say I have very bad luck getting support in a timely fashion from this company.  And with the way the Collection Manager Control4 driver can take down a whole system if there are any database/communication issues--I think I need to switch to something else.

The forum has a post with about the same I would post with this issue--unanswered.  They have no auto-responder for e-mails, and it is hit and miss if you ever get a response by email.  Game needs to be stepped up.  

Is anybody that still relies on Dune / Mede8er using Kodi instead for media management?

3 hours ago, turls said:

Sorry to say I have very bad luck getting support in a timely fashion from this company

Hi Matt,

I am not sure what timingly fashion is for you, but we respond to all contacts to our support email within 24 hours - you wrote our support from what I can see less than an hour before you claim here that we do not provide support - seriously, do you find that resonable. On a side note - our company is based in Europe, and you wrote us at 5 am. :-)

The synchronization process in 5.20 (and up) is a one time process, that does indeed take some time - it is done to make everything more simple moving forward for users using multiple platforms, such as mobile device applications or similar. In rare situations, there are some data in the database that is corrupted, causing a problem to finalize this, requesting that you contact our support - and we do answer those requests.

Our forums is a community forum - the software specifically requests to seek support by writing support@mymovies.dk on the topic.

Best regards,

Brian Binnerup

4 hours ago, Binnerup said:

Hi Matt,

I am not sure what timingly fashion is for you, but we respond to all contacts to our support email within 24 hours - you wrote our support from what I can see less than an hour before you claim here that we do not provide support - seriously, do you find that resonable. On a side note - our company is based in Europe, and you wrote us at 5 am. :-)

Best regards,

Brian Binnerup

I waited NINE days May 2015 for a response to a support e-mail, finally re-sent it and then got a timely response.  The issue I had in 2014 it did not seem like resources were devoted to a solution in a timely fashion.  On the 2014 one, to be fair I have no idea what was going on behind the scenes.  My pet peeve is black box support where there is no way to track the support request.  That's why things like nine days happen...and why I dread having to contact support.  You are correct this time you responded and I will go from there.  I am just very frustrated with the realization that one of the long term problems with my system can be traced back to the interaction of the C4 Collection Management driver and my My Movies install...and now to try to get up to date to see if anything is better I'm fighting something totally unrelated to my core usage of the product...

BTW, this time on my current attempt at sync the error is simply "The online service could not currently be contacted. Please try again later".  This is after the process grinded away for a long time...

FYI,

On the third attempt, the sync worked.  Mind you, I had to wait hours between attempts because it doesn't error out right away.

I've got Control4 Collection Management back in my project for now.  If it brings down my system again, I might be able to just disable the API as a simpler way to disable the processes temporarily.  It sure looks like I have the 15 second time out issue others have had with 5.2.1.

Archived