C4 Forums | Control4

Houselogix DoorBird Doorbell driver

vstar

Has anyone used the Houselogix DoorBird Doorbell driver yet please?

the hardware looks like an interesting product at a fair price, just wondering how well it integrates to control4?

there are some notes on Houselogix site about improvements (audio support) on the driver in the works (API limitations presumably)but I was wondering how well it performs as is in case the updates from hardware manufacturer fall through? i try not to put much value on hardware manufacturers saying something is in the works (ring.com as an example), if it comes through great but is it working well enough now to justify it as a descent door solution.

thanks

44 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

You get to use it as a doorbell. That's it's most exciting feature.

LOL, according to the driver description it does a little more than that ;)

•          Fully integrated camera into Control4 on any Control4 interface (using Camera Proxy)
  •          PoE or Wi-Fi integration
  •          Doorbell and Motion detection from within the driver, no extra wires needed!
  •          Turn on the Light at the doorstation
  •          Trigger lock strike connected to the doorstation or use a smart lock integrated into your Control4 system

just no audio support at this time:

NOTE: Currently this only provides video feedback, doorbell and motion detection from the DoorBird.  Audio and Doorstation proxy support is slated for next release.  DoorBird is actively working on this and as soon as this is done the driver will be updated.

https://www.houselogix.com/shop/doorbird-doorbell

37 minutes ago, vstar said:

LOL, according to the driver description it does a little more than that ;)

•          Fully integrated camera into Control4 on any Control4 interface (using Camera Proxy)
  •          PoE or Wi-Fi integration
  •          Doorbell and Motion detection from within the driver, no extra wires needed!
  •          Turn on the Light at the doorstation
  •          Trigger lock strike connected to the doorstation or use a smart lock integrated into your Control4 system

just no audio support at this time:

NOTE: Currently this only provides video feedback, doorbell and motion detection from the DoorBird.  Audio and Doorstation proxy support is slated for next release.  DoorBird is actively working on this and as soon as this is done the driver will be updated.

https://www.houselogix.com/shop/doorbird-doorbell

as someone testing out a non C4 doorstation right now (Houselogix Holovision solution) I'd ask the following questions:

1) when the door bell button is pressed, how do you get a doorbell sound to play?  with C4 door stations, the chime is played over the touchscreens.  with this unit, are the touch screens going to chime?  do you need to have speakers around the house and send an announcement?  After all, you need a bell to ring inside the house to alert you someone is there.

2) to piggy back off that first point, can you program off the button press, aka "when doorbird button is pressed > send text message.." or "when button is pressed > send image to email (using alans announcement driver)" or when button is pressed > if TV is on send image to TV as Picture in Picture (IP video matrix can do this), you get the idea.  tons of options, you know what I am getting at though, make sure you can program off that press.  Otherwise, if the touchscreens do not chime, AND you cannot program off that button, how are you going to get a chime in the house (and also get some other programming I alluded to above).

They mention "doorbell and motion detection from within the driver" - I'd find out more about that "doorbell" to be honest.  It says doorstation proxy on next release, so I am assuming it cannot play a chime on the touchscreens, so wondering how the doorbell plays into this equation, after all, all the cameras and whistles do you no good if someone rings the doorbell and you cannot hear them insider your house (i speak from painful experience)

Yay it can be used as a so-so camera as well. Yes it has some motion ability -I found it a bit weak. The rest in that list is fluffing - it's a derivative of the rest.

Doorbird, I would guess, is actively CONSIDERING doing SIP stuff. Just like RING has been doing for some time. It doesn't exist as far as I'm concerned until it's actually out there and works.

Thanks for those excellent points eggzlot, these are some of the concerns i had also, it still does seem to have the essentials covered in documentation and presumably more functionality can be programmed in composer off of the triggers that are built in. Sounds like it may be interesting, especially once the audio is supported, that is the only lacking feature IMO.

Thanks Cynight for your feedback also, i was hoping someone had tried it like yourself and could provide feedback on the video quality. i am not looking for something HD, just good enough that it can pop up on my on screen navigators and show me who is at the door, sounds like it will do this, just wish it had audio currently.

too bad Houselogix doesn't have any screenshots of how it looks in navigator, they don't seem to be into pictures on their site, personally i think a picture is worth a hundred words at least.

I may be best to hold off for a few more months to see what Yale has in the works? i think i read there was something announced recently in the works? I have waited this long so another couple of months wont kill me.

thank you both for your comments and feedback.

34 minutes ago, vstar said:

Thanks for those excellent points eggzlot, these are some of the concerns i had also, it still does seem to have the essentials covered in documentation and presumably more functionality can be programmed in composer off of the triggers that are built in.

don't assume!  The Houselogix driver for the Holovision doorstation DOES NOT allow you to program off a button press, so unless you can see it in action or clearly in the documentation, do not assume you can program off triggers or the press of the actual doorbell.

If anything, see what the return policy is on the hardware, you know the driver has a 48 hour trial period, and test it like crazy for those 48 hours.  you do not have to install it to test it, run it from another location without physically installing, to make sure it works as you need and see fit.  If not, return it, do not wait for firmware/software updates, it can take forever (again speaking from experience)

First, just want to give credit where credit is due. This is a Cinegration product and has added integration for a device that previously had nothing.

In regards to Holovision, they are actively working on new firmware to address a couple of missing features. If it's any consolation, the driver update will be expedited as soon as we have the new firmware.

1 hour ago, HouseLogix said:

First, just want to give credit where credit is due. This is a Cinegration product and has added integration for a device that previously had nothing.

In regards to Holovision, they are actively working on new firmware to address a couple of missing features. If it's any consolation, the driver update will be expedited as soon as we have the new firmware.

I'm aware holovision is working on an update and I am very thankful.  I had written a very positive review of the hardware earlier 

i am just warning the other poster not to assume it can do some basic functions without inquiring first.  I had assumed the holovision would play a door chime through the door station proxy and that you could program off the press of the button and neither are possible yet.  Especially the door chime given this is a doorbell after all - need to hear it inside!

And I do appreciate the expedited driver as this has been going on for several months.  

Once these additions are in place this is a great option for anyone looking for a complete and flexible door station solution 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have installed 3 Doorbirds in the past week in two different projects. The Doorbird door station can be used just like a Control4 door station. You can program off of doorbell button press, motion sensor, open door feature, and light on feature. All with out direct wiring to the controller. You can direct wire the door bell or a doorbell system, the motions sensor to a security panel, and the door open feature to a door strike or garage door. Not to mention the ability to answer the door from anywhere. It has been a HUGE asset to our company.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've got a doorbird. It's been working great. Also with my synology Nas I can record as much as I want, button triggers and motion triggers, for free and not have to pay an online fee or have limited look back.

I haven't been able to have the announcements pop up on the TV..is this possible, just on my touchpads and smart devices- through the doorbird app. 

• 1 month later...

I've got two doorbird installed in one project. At First I installed one doorbird(Main Door) and i was able to program that when the doorbell button is press the doorbell will work, which is connected to relay of  EA-5 and it was working fine. And then the next day i installed additional doorbird in (Main Gate). when i tried to program the doorbell button in the main gate with the same doorbell it doesn't work and the door bell button for the main door also has stopped working. when i tried to execute the program the door bell is working but when i tried to press the door bell button on any doorbird it doesn't. 

Can anyone help me with this issue? or what settings i need to do if there are two doorbird in one project. I can only view the two camera in Control4 app.

• 1 month later...
On 5/11/2016 at 1:22 PM, Rews said:

I have installed 3 Doorbirds in the past week in two different projects. The Doorbird door station can be used just like a Control4 door station. You can program off of doorbell button press, motion sensor, open door feature, and light on feature. All with out direct wiring to the controller. You can direct wire the door bell or a doorbell system, the motions sensor to a security panel, and the door open feature to a door strike or garage door. Not to mention the ability to answer the door from anywhere. It has been a HUGE asset to our company.

Rews, I had a doorbird installed and and am having trouble programming the button to make the doorbird button activate the c4 doorbell.  Is there anything special beside installing the c4/doorbird driver that needs to be done?

• 1 month later...
On 9/14/2016 at 0:57 PM, see4 said:

I've got two doorbird installed in one project. At First I installed one doorbird(Main Door) and i was able to program that when the doorbell button is press the doorbell will work, which is connected to relay of  EA-5 and it was working fine. And then the next day i installed additional doorbird in (Main Gate). when i tried to program the doorbell button in the main gate with the same doorbell it doesn't work and the door bell button for the main door also has stopped working. when i tried to execute the program the door bell is working but when i tried to press the door bell button on any doorbird it doesn't. 

Can anyone help me with this issue? or what settings i need to do if there are two doorbird in one project. I can only view the two camera in Control4 app.

See4, I had a doorbird installed and and I am having trouble programming the button to make the doorbird button activate the c4 doorbell.  Is there anything special on the programing that needs to be done to make the C4 announcement door chime work? I watched the video on how to program in c4, but no luck.  Also, I have a door relay that does that works in C4, but I can't program the doorbird button to activate the relay either.  The only thing I do see that the doorbird is working with C4 is the camera. Is there anything special beside installing the c4/doorbird driver that needs to be done? I have done everything in these videos for doorbird cinegration setup.

• 1 year later...

Archived