C4 Forums | Control4

CAT5 termination; patch panel

AJ_

I have several CAT5 runs from the basement to each room in the house. Some of these are used to send HDMI signals using baluns. Currently, in the basement, the wires are terminated and plugged in directly to the device (HDMI matrix, for example). If I were to terminate cables in to a patch panel and then add another patch cable between the panel and the device, would there be any signal loss? 

I'm striving for a cleaner look at the rack. The current state is horrible with cables of different lengths hanging all over the place.

Thanks,
AJ

TECHNICALLY, yes doing any form of extension/termination will decrease signal strength.

In reality, it's not normally a problem what so ever. But there IS a risk yes.

For speaker cables, coax feeds for cable/sat boxes or out to subs, any stereo/rca cables this risk is extremely minimal to the point of non-existent. For CAT cable used for networking or video distribution (the latter more so) the chance does exist.

It's not recommended by most if not all manufacturers to do so.

Will it actually BE a problem? Likely not - but you're doing this at you own risk.

TECHNICALLY, yes doing any form of extension/termination will decrease signal strength.

In reality, it's not normally a problem what so ever. But there IS a risk yes.

For speaker cables, coax feeds for cable/sat boxes or out to subs, any stereo/rca cables this risk is extremely minimal to the point of non-existent. For CAT cable used for networking or video distribution (the latter more so) the chance does exist.

It's not recommended by most if not all manufacturers to do so.

Will it actually BE a problem? Likely not - but you're doing this at you own risk.

+1

You should not have any problems using a patch panel for the network part of the project, but I would keep the ones you use to extend video as home runs.

11 hours ago, mallom said:

+1

You should not have any problems using a patch panel for the network part of the project, but I would keep the ones you use to extend video as home runs.

this would be best practice here. get a good quality panel. keep power and other like cables away from the connections.

Archived