C4 Forums | Control4

Slysoft, the company responsible for (among others) the program AnyDVDHD, the driving force behind MANY movie servers' ability to copy disc-owned movies has been forced to close it's doors and immediately cease to operate as of February 24th 2016

This affects such solutions as MyMovies, Fusion and many more.

45 minutes ago, South Africa C4 user said:

That can't be good... Any recommendations for a replacement?

Why are they closing? Any chance someone else will take over AnyDVD?

As far as I know, my dealer moved me from an annual subscription to AnyDVD to a Lifetime subscription - some life time!

At this point - things are up in the air. DVDfab has a similar program and it could likely replace it (though MyMovies has stated that as of now they wouldn't be able to offer the same amount of integration as it misses that ability (which may mean others may have the same problem). It's been something of a public secret though that they basically stole their decryption from AnyDVD so they may fail to update. Indeed THEY announced today they won't be able to support the next announced copy protection feature.

As far as why they closed - they were forced to cease and desist, there is nothing to take over, it didn't close due to money issues.

1 hour ago, SMHarman said:

Curious because EU and other country legislation allowed them to exist for backup purposes.

There was nothing for them to 'allow' really, and the grey area of back up made them not bother making the software illegal to own (vs distribution/creation - Slysoft originally got this tech via Elby from Switzerland until they were forced to stop there if memory serves).

The US thought differently and Antigua and Barbados has a lot more to to with the US then Europe in direct terms...

ct terms...

In Europe it is legit to have a private copy however it is forbidden to crack an encryption to achieve that private copy  - so it's kind of a contradiction when it comes to Hollywood media types

However the ongoing battle to shut down Software companies providing those copy tools is just not helping anybody but the lawyers. It's hurting honest people buying BluRays who just want them watch via Kodi or whatever to not always search for discs an pop them into drives trays!!!!

It will not prevent screeners or film-books showing up months/weeks before official release and all that other crap.....

Nice!

Without SlySoft and the other there would never have been so many BD and DVD sales, never ever.

I own over 200 BD and I would never have bought them if I couldn't put them on my NAS and access them with any player I damn well please.

Why don't the fat ass Hollywood bosses get that: if people buy stuff they damn well want to own it and use it any way the like ! - just imagine you buy a car but are only allowed to drive within 1 state or only fill up a a certain brand of gas station !

So, do the old AnyDVD subscriptions still apply at RedFox? I hope so! Gary Leeds, was there anything you needed to do? MyMovies automatically updates my AnyDVD, so I've not been updating it myself for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, ILoveC4 said:

So, do the old AnyDVD subscriptions still apply at RedFox? I hope so! Gary Leeds, was there anything you needed to do? MyMovies automatically updates my AnyDVD, so I've not been updating it myself for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, the old subscription works. No new payment needed. However, you do need to manually download the new AnyDVD version as the auto update that would work for SlySoft does not work for RedFox. This should be a one time thing only. 

18 minutes ago, South Africa C4 user said:

Yes, the old subscription works. No new payment needed. However, you do need to manually download the new AnyDVD version as the auto update that would work for SlySoft does not work for RedFox. This should be a one time thing only. 

As it stands at least, yes. You need to manually get the latest version from RedFox ONCE which should point to the new servers/new server addresses.

Subscription will work (for now, there may be a new 'program' down the road and that may require new licensing) - but note that at this point you cannot get NEW subscriptions, and at last check it was unclear if you could REACTIVATE an existing key yet (ie need to redo the install or have a new computer)

• 1 month later...

Normally I wouldn't reply to this forum's topic but today I think I need to make my voice heard. I am really angry with RedFox, I shouldn't buy their product. To tell the truth, I have no idea that I should pay additional fee to use RedFox product although I already purchased Slysoft product. I think they are the same company but they told me they are not. Quite disappointed.

Archived