C4 Forums | Control4

HDCP 2.2 workaround HELP

Nehsmit

Hi all,

I have a SONY VPL-VW350ES projector with a Marantz 7009 receiver. Unfortunately the marantz is not hdcp 2.2 compliant and so I cannot get true 4k out of my Roku onto my 4k projector. Im trying to find a work around. One thought was to get a 4k 2.2 compliant switch where I would have the Roku as 1 input and all my other sources out of my marantz as the other input. Any recommendations for a C4 friendly 2 port switch which is 4k, 3D, 2.2 compliant and cheap?

Thanks in advance. 

I've yet to find a cheap 2.2 compliant switch.  Do you have other 4k sources?  If not you could send HDMI from the roku straight to the projector and send digital optical from the roku to the receiver.  Not sure if you can make that work with the wiring you have but just a thought.  

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar situation. I have a pioneer sc79 that claims to be 4K capable but it's not 2.2 capable. So I considered a 4K JAP setup to replace my atlona 8x8. But because I only have a couple of 4K Tvs I didn't need full 4K distribution. So i settled on a pioneer sc95 to give me 4K 2.2 distribution from my Sony 4K media player. So, in short a new receiver might be your best bet

That projector (the Sony mentioned), is hdcp 2.2 compatible - though from memory only one input is?

There's no official word for HDR compatibility on that projector AFAIK, but that should be fine.

In general however - take heed, the current 4k/UHD landscape is worse than the old 'HDTVReady' period.

I've seen so-called 4k/UHD Bluray players 'on sale' for 300 US - and they're NOT HDR disc capable, they're just BluRay players able to UPSCALE signals to a 4K signal (something you should be able to pick-up at your local BestBuy for around 100USD).

Oh and for JAP, you can mix and match 2G and 3G in one system, ie you'd only use the more expensive 3g/AVP units on certain sources and TVs (though the 3G receivers have the ability to scale down sources to 1080p, so you'd retain use over those sources)

1 hour ago, THEORY said:

I know it supports HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2. 

But Sony's website doesn't say it supports any 4k signals.

It states it doesn't support it for the purpose of up-scaling. The info is rather confusing on there (I just checked), but I take it that it means that it takes 1080i and 1080p images only from HDMI for upscaling. If it means anything else, it also would mean it can't handle 720p via HDMI (which would make no sense).

That's apart from the fact that I know it takes 4k sources ^_^. That said, those were NOT (yet?) the new UHD/HDR disc players, just media players and upscaling Blu-Ray player.

Hi all,

Thanks for all the replies. I figured it out. It's not the PJ. That does accept HDCP 2.2 only on the hdmi 2 input. The issue is the Marantz sr7009. No HDCP 2.2. The answer is HD Fury Integral. At $249 it's the cheapest switch/pass through and its purpose is to bypass the 2.2 issue. Makes anything compatible.

Now when I watch a true 4k video through the Roku 4, my Sony info button shows that it's getting 4k signal. Picture quality is spectacular.

Thanks again for all the help.

Archived