C4 Forums | Control4

Advices needed. 2 video end in same room, video and audio matrix questions

olivierla75

Question

Hi,

I'm currently modifying my installation in Los Angeles and I have few questions, I was wondering if you guys were nice enough to give me few advices.

Here is a brief scope of the electronics and setup:

Video sources (AppleTV, Kaleidescape, Fire...) are in main racks connected to a Leaf 4K video matrix (video only) and the audio sources (Sonos, audio from EA-5 controller) to a C4 16 zones V3 audio matrix.

The living room has two video devices, 1 sharp Elite 70" and 1 Sony Projector VW1100ES

Preamp is Marantz AV8802a

The Master has an Sharp Elite 70" as well with a Marantz SR-7010 receiver

The 3 other rooms including kitchen have flat screen connected to Sonos Playbar + sub.

The living room and Master bedroom video are connected through Gefen 4K HDMI extenders and the other rooms that have TVs + Playbars are connected to the Leaf video matrix extenders.

1st question:

In the living room area that has both a TV and projector, how would you set that up?

- Creating 2 different rooms, like living room and theater? In that case can the Marantz be used in both rooms as Main Zone to be able to use the 7.4.2 sound system?

- or having both the projector and TV in the same room? If so what's the best way to set it up?

PS: The projector is controlled with the C4 serial driver and the Elite TV with the C4 IP driver.

There is also a Stewart motorized screen that's activated with a trigger.

2nd question:

How could I have the multi room audio working in the rooms that have Sonos Playbar systems? Is it possible to connect them to the matrix? Or should I run audio cable from the matrix to each tv so the music could be output through the Playbars? In that case it would mean that TVs have to be on to be able to play music in these rooms I guess

3rd question:

I use to have a controller for each room but I have switch to only one now, the EA-5 connected to the Living Room/Theater area. I was wondering if it is doable to put the UI through the Video Matrix and have it display in every room?

4th question:

How should I connect the EA-5 audio outputs to my system? Only through the matrix? To the Marantz components in digital? Not sure what's the best way to do that to have something easy to use.

Thanks in advance for your help guys!

Regards

Olivier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 answers to this question

1. use the theater display swap driver

2. you can use the grouping of sonos to be able to stream the music. But i think you said you have a sonos connect feeding into the ea5 this is would not be good as it will delay the music. feed everything into the matrix. if you need to digitize sonos feed the matrix into the ea5

3  yes but not good practice. now with the ea 1 even more affordable it is easier. Otherwise just know if two rooms call for navigator they will be fighting back and forth for control

5. up to you the matrix would be best. likely as the hdmi is connected to the matrix it will likely use that first any ways.

Matt, thanks for your answers!

1. Where do I find this driver?

2. The Sonos connect is feeding the Matrix for now, and I guess I will feed the matrix with the 2 RCA audio out of the E5.

So do you suggest I run audio cables from the Matrix to each of the TV's that have Playbar?

3 well noted. Do you think it's necessary to have navigators in every room? I still have a HC-800 and 4 HC-250 in hand. Could that benefit to my setting?

4. Well noted.

Thanks again!

Olivier

*2* Actually you should be fine 'as is' IF you're ok not having the system audio (while there are some advantages to using 'native' services over using the same services in Sonos, in you scenario, it's best to stick to Sonos.

Basically do NOT use any controller audio outputs in you scenario, Indeed, have your dealer 'remove' audio from HDMI using a virtual converter driver (info on this is available on the dealer kb). I'd suggest a SECOND (at least, more if you want more audio streams) Sonos Connect at the central rack. From there, just feed the two Sonos units into the matrix, and ALSO take those same Sonos Connects' digital audio out and feed them into the Marantz units (one each).

Note that if you want to use announcements in this scenario, you'll need to use the Sonos for the purpose (Arguably better anyway, though a bit more complex to use).

With those Sonos Playbars in place, that will give you the smoothest scenario for music

*3* It isn't considered 'proper' by C4 but it'll work. There ARE some oddities that may occur if you want to do things like pop-ups and announcements with images though (even if you don't 'use' the controllers for announcements for images, odd things WILL happen, stay away from the use of it).

*4* - as per above - I wouldn't use them at all based on your current info.

Thanks for your answer!

1) do you know where I can find this driver?

2. Which advantages would I be losing from not using the audio native?

I had also thought of adding in-ceiling speakers in those room who have Playbars and run the music like that. So the Playbars would be just used for TV watching.

3. I own few HC-250 that I'm not using, do you think it could benefit me if I was putting them behind every TV on a different HDMI input that the HDMI extender coming from the Leaf?

Thanks in advance for your answer :)

1) It's in the online database via Composer

2) The main 'advantage' is that it's cheaper to get more than one stream through something like an Audio Matrix. EA series controller's audio quality is also slightly better.

3) If you have them, use them.

On 3/7/2016 at 0:54 AM, Cyknight said:

Basically do NOT use any controller audio outputs in you scenario, I'd suggest a SECOND (at least, more if you want more audio streams) Sonos Connect at the central rack. From there, just feed the two Sonos units into the matrix, and ALSO take those same Sonos Connects' digital audio out and feed them into the Marantz units (one each).

what he said. sonos is able to wireless stream to all of the sonos components. so if playbars run the tv they would share audio over the sonos network. all of the rooms that are fed by the audio matrix would be fed from the sonos connects. If you needed addtional audio streams you would  need more connects or use the controller audio but the playbars would not have access to this unless you back fed the matrix into the connects. Not sure if this would create a delay however worth a try.

Archived