C4 Forums | Control4

HC-250 Red Flashing Wifi

I bought a bunch of second hand gear and hidden in this treasure trove was an HC-250. 

Unfortunately the lights are all solid blue except the wifi which flashes red. The Factory reset at the back is also unresponsive so nothing happens when you hold it in and reboot it. 

Just wondering what I can expect to pay a dealer to fix this, whether it could be fixed, or whether I just chuck it in the bin and forget about it and look into buying a new one.

I do not have a dealer so if anyone can recommend a dealer to me (I am in London) who I can post the unit to I would also be grateful. I have a pretty good idea what these are worth 2nd hand so trying to balance the cost of repair vs replace in advance.

1 minute ago, mallom said:

Have u tried plugging an ethernet cable to see what happens?

Thanks for the super quick reply mallom. I did connect one but could not see network flashing lights from the cable, may try again tomorrow.

Are you implying some kind of ssh and force boot from USB or am I jumping the gun a bit? Be interested to know what command I would use. My Linux is ok but not fantastic 

You will need a dealer to help you troubleshooting this problem anyway. If the wifi card is fried at least you can hardwire it or if running an ethernet cable is not possible, u can get a cheap airport express and use it as an access point. I havent actually tried this but I cant see why it wouldnt work

Thanks for the responses guys. I think the flashing wifi light is a bit of a red herring. It seems to indicate a damaged root system according to research on other posts/forums. Ethernet is also completely non-functional so no way to SSH or telnet into the box to have a play around. 

Next plan of action is to swap out the internal micro SD card with one from a working HC-250 I also own. Whilst I am sure this is a job for the "pros", I want to make sure I know what I am talking about when I speak to the dealers. My understanding is that the majority of the file system is stored on the SD card so perhaps by some miracle this will work. Will post updates on my findings.

IMG_2588.jpg

Same result with the SD Card from my working HC-250. I guess it's toast.

So back to my original questions:

What I can expect to pay a dealer to fix this?

Does anyone think this is fixable or is it dead?

I do not have a dealer so if anyone can recommend a dealer to me?

Dealers will not be able to fix this.  From memory flashing red wifi means that the boot loader failed to boot the OS image.  The only people who can fix this (if it is fixable) is control4 or a distributor (it you are international).

41 minutes ago, alanchow said:

Dealers will not be able to fix this.  From memory flashing red wifi means that the boot loader failed to boot the OS image.  The only people who can fix this (if it is fixable) is control4 or a distributor (it you are international).

Thanks a lot alanchow. So no way to force boot from the USB in this instance? How would the distributer or control 4 try this out of interest?

Back when I used to work for a distributor we needed to hook up via a TTL cable and flash it manually.

there is also a factory reset button which if held down for long enough does a reflash but given that you already swapped SD cards it's unlikely to work.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2016 at 11:10 AM, alanchow said:

Back when I used to work for a distributor we needed to hook up via a TTL cable and flash it manually.

there is also a factory reset button which if held down for long enough does a reflash but given that you already swapped SD cards it's unlikely to work.

Hi, what do you mean "long enough"?

how it works, what should I do/see?

it will be awesome to get it working...

• 7 months later...
On 9/3/2016 at 14:10, alanchow said:

Cuando solía trabajar para un distribuidor, necesitábamos conectarnos a través de un cable TTL y flashearlo manualmente.

También hay un botón de restablecimiento de fábrica que, si se mantiene presionado durante el tiempo suficiente, se vuelve a actualizar, pero dado que ya cambió las tarjetas SD, es poco probable que funcione.

Como sería la conexión no reconozco los pines 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.