C4 Forums | Control4

Chowmain - Playstation 4, Xbox One and Wii U Integration

alanchow

Chowmain%20Logo%20Transparent%20Medium.p

WeMo%20Insight%20Consoles%20Thumb.png

Playstation 4, Xbox One and Wii U Integration 

The Belkin WeMo insight outlet switch provides Wifi based control and monitoring of energy of any device connected to it. This is great for floor lamps, Fans and various other plug based devices. Chowmain Software & Apps have added new functionality to the driver to allow for manually controllable devices such as Playstation 4's, Xbox One's, Wii U's to automatically turn the room on and also automatically turn the room off upon power detection (or lack of). 

So rather than having to select the device by clicking on Watch -> Playstation 4 and then turn on the Playstation 4 the user can now just turn on the Playstation 4 and vice versa. This makes integration of game consoles and other manually controlled AV devices everyday easy. 

Frequently Asked Questions 

How does it work? 
The WeMo Insight has the ability to detect the power usage of a device plugged into it at any time. Using this information we can determine if a device is in standby mode or if it is in use. We added a few properties to the driver to allow for Control4 to select the relevant driver upon power on. This is great for Playstation 4, Xbox One, Wii U and other manually controlled devices. 

Can we do anything else cool? 
This isn't limited to manual controllable devices either. Lets say you really like the original remote for your cable box. You can still use it to turn your cable box on and off and have control automatically set the room up for you. 

Where can i find out more information? 

Chowmain Website

48 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

Dude we were just talking about this like 2 hrs ago. You are a machine

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Its an exciting idea.  Had to act on it whilst it was fresh in my mind.  I just realised as well that it can be used for other purposes as well.  Think IR controlled Bluray players and similar devices.  We can now automatically turn the room on upon power on (eg when they put a disc in). The applications of it are endless.  This is the video sense of the new generation.

Its an exciting idea.  Had to act on it whilst it was fresh in my mind.  I just realised as well that it can be used for other purposes as well.  Think IR controlled Bluray players and similar devices.  We can now automatically turn the room on upon power on (eg when they put a disc in). The applications of it are endless.  This is the video sense of the new generation.

Chromecast could be a good use case

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

53 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

I don't think it will work for that as Chromecast is an always on device.  It will work well for devices which have standby modes or off.

Think about Video Sense back in the older controllers.  This is essentially the same thing but for power.  Power sensing.

Alan, would it be possible/trivial to have some type of numeric meter driver that can be displayed on a navigator to see the live power consumption rate in Amps? sort of like the card access display thermostat driver? would love to throw one of these on each of my equipment racks to see my live power consumption. mind you it might be depressing so might not be a good idea ;)

BTW very cool driver, great job.

13 minutes ago, vstar said:

Alan, would it be possible/trivial to have some type of numeric meter driver that can be displayed on a navigator to see the live power consumption rate in Amps? sort of like the card access display thermostat driver? would love to throw one of these on each of my equipment racks to see my live power consumption. mind you it might be depressing so might not be a good idea ;)

BTW very cool driver, great job.

Unfortunately there is no proxy that we can use.  The closest thing we can do usher the event logging driver I created which will provide a history.  That would probably be the best bet but won't give you a live view.

3 minutes ago, alanchow said:

Unfortunately there is no proxy that we can use.  The closest thing we can do usher the event logging driver I created which will provide a history.  That would probably be the best bet but won't give you a live view.

that's unfortunate. here i was hoping you were going to come back in 60 min and surprise us and say "done" ;)

thanks for the explanation :)

I should note, that for 110v world, the C4 outlet switch has had this ability for some time (sense power that is, you'd connect a generic contact for the appropriate outlet, then program based off of that). Though this doesn't seem to work for some devices - in particular the PS4 in rest mode.

25 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

I should note, that for 110v world, the C4 outlet switch has had this ability for some time (sense power that is, you'd connect a generic contact for the appropriate outlet, then program based off of that). Though this doesn't seem to work for some devices - in particular the PS4 in rest mode.

Yeah it's a bit of a shame but control4 have been resistant to release a 220-240v version of the outlet switch.  I've been asking for it for 10 years now but got tired and integrated my own solution.

Just now, alanchow said:

Yeah it's a bit of a shame but control4 have been resistant to release a 220-240v version of the outlet switch.  I've been asking for it for 10 years now but got tired and integrated my own solution.

Oh I know - and fair enough!

9 hours ago, Cyknight said:

LOL I think you're putting too much trust in WeMo vstar ^_^

Neat driver though.

ya you're probably correct, i should probably just spend the money and get something like the eGauge, seems to be a descent product? maybe when our dollar (Canadian) gets better again ;)

I don't know much about WeMo outlets, as I don't use them.   However, I have Ubiquiti mFi mPower Pro's, which are the 8 outlet strips with the @HouseLogix driver for them.  Would similar integration be able to be implemented into them, meaning they could wake rooms on/off from turning my PS4 on/off from standby?  If so, I'm assuming it's some additional programming that would have to be added into the driver by HouseLogix if they were willing to do so, but guess I'm just wondering if it's even possible, as the mFi's also trigger on/off through WiFi and have power monitoring, just not sure how similar in operation to that of these WeMo outlets that enabled you to do this with them.    

I don't know much about WeMo outlets, as I don't use them.   However, I have Ubiquiti mFi mPower Pro's, which are the 8 outlet strips with the @HouseLogix driver for them.  Would similar integration be able to be implemented into them, meaning they could wake rooms on/off from turning my PS4 on/off from standby?  If so, I'm assuming it's some additional programming that would have to be added into the driver by HouseLogix if they were willing to do so, but guess I'm just wondering if it's even possible, as the mFi's also trigger on/off through WiFi and have power monitoring, just not sure how similar in operation to that of these WeMo outlets that enabled you to do this with them.    

Yes it should be

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

Archived