C4 Forums | Control4

Best router

cgboulet

Question

I'm in the market to upgrade to a new router for my house (AC).  Since I have a C4 system and cannot find anything anywhere on recommended routers, I thought I'd ask the question here.  What's the best/stable compatible router that offers WIFI on the AC standard.  Thanks for the help in advance.

8 answers to this question

There are several posts covering this subject.

I personally prefer to separate the components:

- Modem - Motorola

- Router Ubiquiti ERLite-3

- Switch - Cisco SG300

- Access Point - Ubiquiti UAP-AC and UAC-AC-LR

This setup has been solid.

As long as you stay away from Apple routers and consumer grade ones, you should be Ok.

There are several posts covering this subject.

I personally prefer to separate the components:

- Modem - Motorola

- Router Ubiquiti ERLite-3

- Switch - Cisco SG300

- Access Point - Ubiquiti UAP-AC and UAC-AC-LR

This setup has been solid.

As long as you stay away from Apple routers and consumer grade ones, you should be Ok.

So mine is Motorola 4 channel bonding cable modem (would buy 8 CH today but this was top o line then and with 100 service I don't need an upgrade)

Apple Air port extreme 5gen. WiFi off to both

Ubiquity WAP

Planet 24 port switch.

I have a to do list item to switch the Air port but it is just trekkin along keeping its head down.

Realistically only internet and WiFi to wired traffic passes over it. The planet absorbs the Nat table and all wired to weird passes over the back plane there.

On 3/31/2016 at 0:07 AM, Cyknight said:

Get a non-wireless router if you need one - if you have a wireless router, turn off the wireless - and look to separate access points or 'mesh'/smart style Wifi setup option.

Very good point. It is all about the AP's. 

For my routers, I use OpnSENSE. It is free. All you need is a piece of hardware with 2 Ethernet ports. Any old desktop with a NIC will do. Super cheap and it is VERY secure with a simple to use UI like any other home based router, yet you get SMB class security. (some would say enterprise)

You get all of the bells an whistles and a decent support forum. (more than you get with a normal off the shelf router)

I'd like to recommend the Mikrotik hAP ac found here: http://routerboard.com/RB962UiGS-5HacT2HnT

Mikrotik doesn't get a whole lot of love and I think it's mostly because their routers aren't "cool looking".  Their routers are the most reliable devices I've ever used. I've never had to reboot mine for any reason.  Additionally, they come with 1000 mWatt wireless transmitters.  This is powerful enough to blanket my entire house and then some.  Most consumer wireless routers transmit by default at 200 mW and from my experience that's just simply not powerful enough.  I would buy this and not worry about having to include any additional access points throughout your house.

Their routers use an OS called RouterOS.  RouterOS is a very advanced and capable OS.  I'm a network systems engineer and I'll admit RouterOS is almost too complicated for me.  It provides the ability to do absolutely everything. 

Archived