C4 Forums | Control4

Ending an Announcement early

eggzlot

I am trying to piece together some stuff with a doorbell function.

Long story short, when the bell is going off, if the front door opens, I want the doorbell to go off.

The doorbell is playing via announcements (both native C4 announcement agent and Sonos announcements on some sonos hardware)

The thought is, the bell rings for 10-15 seconds (I forget) but we want it to stop once the door is open.  Now if we are entertaining, these sonos zones likely have music, so I do not want to just "turn off" the zone because then the music will not resume.  I was trying to play around with the idea of "when door opens, mute zones for X period of time" but that does not seem to work.  Likely because the mute function for most of these rooms are tied to the TV, not sonos/announcements

So any simple way to do this?  I could start a timer when the door bell rings, and if timer is going, if door opens, kill announcements (meaning that if music was playing, music would resume, dont want to turn off the zone)

I feel like it is right under my nose and I am missing something.  I created a timer to say "front door bell is ringing" so under the sensor for the front door I have If Timer "front door bell is ringing" then I am thinking what I need to execute under it.  That is where I am stumped.

You can't really cut it short at all - there is no such command available. If most of your zones are run by TVs then the limits there are your biggest problem, your though on a mute is probably the right line of thought, but if you have no mute control over the rooms.....

Perhaps you'd want to look at it a different way - is the 10-15 often a problem, or only if there are parties etc - if the latter, you could add a 'second' announcement and trigger one or the other based on a variable that you set with a custom button (and perhaps a schedule)...but only you will know the exact user case here...

On 3/27/2016 at 8:05 PM, Cyknight said:

You can't really cut it short at all - there is no such command available. If most of your zones are run by TVs then the limits there are your biggest problem, your though on a mute is probably the right line of thought, but if you have no mute control over the rooms.....

Perhaps you'd want to look at it a different way - is the 10-15 often a problem, or only if there are parties etc - if the latter, you could add a 'second' announcement and trigger one or the other based on a variable that you set with a custom button (and perhaps a schedule)...but only you will know the exact user case here...

Out of no where my fiance wonders why the bell keeps ringing if the door is opened to let someone in the house.  I dont know, a cheap $50 bell from home depot would ring for X period of time anyways regardless if the door is open, so not sure why its i an issue, but it is an issue :)

Its not even just during parties; say I am in the kitchen cooking and listening to music, door bell rings with the UPS Delivery man, she would want the bell to end when the door opens, but then music resume in the kitchen.  And that is not a party situation, that is just me prepping dinner on a random Tuesday night or whatever.  So I cannot have a button to put the house into a "state".

I was thinking maybe break the ring file into 2-3 different 4 second wave files.  Could I then do something like "if door didnt open" play second file, if door didnt open, play 3rd file, etc?  Would maybe not kill the announcement ASAP but at least wouldn't linger another 10 seconds or something.

Archived