C4 Forums | Control4

Legacy controller licensing

xTyD23x

Question

Hi,

I am an installer and pulled an HC-1000 and an HC-300 out of a house to replace with an HC-800 a while back and the customer gave me the 2 old controllers. The HC-300 had a failed power supply and I replaced it. It is now working and the HC-1000 is working as well. Is there a way to get the license working for mobile devices? A friend told me that you cannot even buy a license for these old controllers any more, so you would have to use a system remote to control the system. This is not well documented, so I am confused as to whether or not I can get this working. I also was told that these controllers would not run anything above 2.5.3, but when I connected to them and ran update manager, they were able to both update to 2.8.1.

4 answers to this question

Both the hc300 and hc1000 will upgrade to 2.8.1. However, as a director(master controller) the hc300 will not run well. If at all. The hc1000 will run 2.8.1 fine but will struggle with a lot of zigbee devices and media streams. I have commissioned a hc1000 on 2.8.1 with no issues and is running 5 tv locations and 35 zigbee nodes. And 8 audio zones. However the audio zones are running off of analog sources and one C4 media stream.

As for licenses, you cannot purchase home site any longer. Believe me I have tried.

Hope this helps and have a great night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Err.

*Installer - should know (have been informed by your company!) that licenses are not available. A 'friend' doesn't have to tell you that. It's also very well documented and in effect for 3 years now. Worst case should be that you'd ask at your company, and get the answer....

*An HC300 cannot run a system above 2.5.3 - that's a hard limitation, it's actually impossible to make it director.

*An HC1000 will run 2.8.1 just fine, nor will it struggle as such "with a lot of audio streams and media devices" any more than an HC250 would. Of course the HC1000 doesn't have a zigbee radio nor audio outputs, so a secondary controller will be running those. Can you push an HC1000 to and past the brink in 2.8.1? Sure, wanna say at over 60 zones with over 200 lighting devices, give or take a few. Note that I do not recommend getting one for a system at this point, as it's been EoL for years, so who knows when it will stop being updated.

*Licenses are indeed no longer available to buy - However your company CAN request a special sale from the company rep. Of course the intended use of this is for consumers with existing HC800/HC250 based systems that missed the boat, and the rep will have the option of approving or denying it at his discretion, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Then again, for the price of a license, as a dealer employee - it would make FAR more sense to just get an EA-3.

1 hour ago, Cyknight said:

Err.

*Installer - should know (have been informed by your company!) that licenses are not available. A 'friend' doesn't have to tell you that. It's also very well documented and in effect for 3 years now. Worst case should be that you'd ask at your company, and get the answer....

*An HC300 cannot run a system above 2.5.3 - that's a hard limitation, it's actually impossible to make it director.

*An HC1000 will run 2.8.1 just fine, nor will it struggle as such "with a lot of audio streams and media devices" any more than an HC250 would. Of course the HC1000 doesn't have a zigbee radio nor audio outputs, so a secondary controller will be running those. Can you push an HC1000 to and past the brink in 2.8.1? Sure, wanna say at over 60 zones with over 200 lighting devices, give or take a few. Note that I do not recommend getting one for a system at this point, as it's been EoL for years, so who knows when it will stop being updated.

*Licenses are indeed no longer available to buy - However your company CAN request a special sale from the company rep. Of course the intended use of this is for consumers with existing HC800/HC250 based systems that missed the boat, and the rep will have the option of approving or denying it at his discretion, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Then again, for the price of a license, as a dealer employee - it would make FAR more sense to just get an EA-3.

My "friend" is a co-worker/installer. I have never installed an HC-1000 or HC-300 as a director; only re-used HC-300s with a new HC-800 as the Director on existing jobs. I will not be buying a new system, but just wanted to play with this one at my house if possible, since it WAS free :). I don't have a system remote, so I was hoping to control this through the app, but I guess this just isn't possible. Maybe I will hang on to the HC-300 in case I do end up with an HC-800 or decide to buy one of the new EAs. Thanks to both of you guys for the info.

Archived