C4 Forums | Control4

AnyDVD HD Lifetime Licenses no longer honored after April 30th 2016????

Slysoft’s resurrection RedFox announced that they will have to make the previous customers repay for the incarnated RedFox products. Although they said there would be some discounts offered, I was still pissed off as a lifetime subscriber who has been supporting it for damn so many years. Why not just honor your reputation by honoring your old loyal customers, RedFox? This is absolutely not the business practice I am expecting from a well-known company.

If RedFox is going to replace AnyDVD HD, its licenses should be honored instead of burning the customers. So unfair and unethical. If this is true, I would never consider this product and would unapologetically bash AnyDVD HD and RedFox for the remainder of what my lifetime license should have been. I hope I'm reading this incorrectly.

I see there are naive people who believe Slisoft closed, employees laid off, etc. The old fairy tale.

Not sure I understand this. New company that has seen none of your money is expected to support and update an application for you. For life. Based on a promise that some other company gave you. Also seems like there is some serious legal liability with software of this nature. So assume there is some overhead cost in them taking this product on.

still pissed off as a lifetime subscriber who has been supporting it for damn so many years

So you paid for it once, used it for many years without additional cost, now some people are reviving the software shut down out of the control of the original company and you're ticked that your heavily discounted lifetime subscription to the old software isn't honored?

Ok then.

4 hours ago, Ailsa Pimenova said:

I see there are naive people who believe Slisoft closed, employees laid off, etc. The old fairy tale.

Right. I see there are people who believe that Slysoft shut itself down solely to reboot and take more money. The old conspiracy theory.

56 minutes ago, wingzz said:

Its not some one resurrected the company, the original creator moved it offshore and renamed it to get around laws from what I had read

Not quite - a number of of the employees did (and not 'moved offshore': from Antigua & Barbados to Belize)

On April 5, 2016 at 8:58 PM, Gary Leeds UK said:

The first post is out of order.

check out redfox.bz 

I agree that the original post is out of order (troll?) but I do believe that the need to re-buy the licence key is correct (and I have no real problem with this). The following is direct from their website:

The last version of AnyDVDHD that can be unlocked with Slysoft license keys is 7.6.9.1. It can be downloaded on our website. For all later versions you need to obtain a new license key from us. SlySoft licenses of other products such as CloneDVD, CloneCD, and CloneDVD mobile, as well as elby CloneBD licenses are not affected and will continue to work normally.

Oh absolutely - the info that you have to buy a new license for the rebooted product is accurate. The spam about one butt-hurt fellah and the non-sense on it being a 'parlour' trick to get more money is the issue.

Though, it's been expanded to later (current) versions for the time being until the April 30th date.

Heck if they wanted to 'reboot' licensing, all they had to do was create "AnyDVD 2" with a full break on the 'previous' version updates and get no more or less heckling about it.

I think anyone that buys a new license right away is risking loosing that money. The chances they are promptly shut down again are high, especially as they caved fairly easily to start.

I'd think the safe bet is to wait some time to see further development and stability. Trusting these folks outright is a bit silly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, cdepaola said:

I think anyone that buys a new license right away is risking loosing that money. The chances they are promptly shut down again are high, especially as they caved fairly easily to start.

I'd think the safe bet is to wait some time to see further development and stability. Trusting these folks outright is a bit silly.

They've already stated that they likely will not have lifetime licenses anymore, just subscription base.

Depending on what they have, I agree that it would be wise to stick with shorter terms for now - they'd probably prefer it too in fact.

It's not that easy to shut down something like this (Slysoft took years) though.

1 hour ago, cdepaola said:

Wasn't hard to take them down really. Just have is government apply some watch list pressure on the home government and whamo they shut down

Took 5 years of that actually.

They were placed on the priority watch list as of February 2016 and shut down shortly after that.

The court case has been going on for five years, which was going nowhere and hence why they were watch listed.

15 minutes ago, cdepaola said:

They were placed on the priority watch list as of February 2016 and shut down shortly after that.

The court case has been going on for five years, which was going nowhere and hence why they were watch listed.

Yes so it took 5 years of court battling before they could go on the watch list.

Yes so it took 5 years of court battling before they could go on the watch list.

I feel like we are WAY off topic at this point but...

The watchlist was a way to get them outside the court case as that was going no where so it had nothing to do with the case, it was a separate attempt to close slysoft down.

Now back to the original content

35 minutes ago, cdepaola said:

I feel like we are WAY off topic at this point but...

The watchlist was a way to get them outside the court case as that was going no where so it had nothing to do with the case, it was a separate attempt to close slysoft down.

Now back to the original content

emoji3.png

Yes, but they cannot just put something on the watch list - it took 5 years of failed court cases before that option was available.

NOW let's just close of this thread, as the original content is BS anyway. :D

Archived