C4 Forums | Control4

Media Cabinet Temperature Control

I have an HC-250 which I am using to control my media centre which will be inside a closed cabinet. 

There is a lot of gear and it's going to get pretty hot in there. I am going to buy 2 Noctua NF-A14 ULN 140mm silent PC fans, one for inlet, one for outlet. 

What is the simplest (read cheapest) system for monitoring the temperature inside the cabinet and firing off the fans when a certain temperature is reached and switching them off again when it drops below the threshold?

Please advise on drivers as well as hardware.

Thanks in advance. 

nf-a14-uln.jpg

I have an HC-250 which I am using to control my media centre which will be inside a closed cabinet. 

There is a lot of gear and it's going to get pretty hot in there. I am going to buy 2 Noctua NF-A14 ULN 140mm silent PC fans, one for inlet, one for outlet. 

What is the simplest (read cheapest) system for monitoring the temperature inside the cabinet and firing off the fans when a certain temperature is reached and switching them off again when it drops below the threshold?

Please advise on drivers as well as hardware.

Thanks in advance. 

nf-a14-uln.jpg

A thermal switch.

Thanks Rav. I was thinking of something along those lines but will these be able to be controlled by control4 or just independent?

Why do you want C4 control? Maybe you don't want them on during watching time. Then put the HC250 relay in the loop and close it when the tv is off (to complete the circuit) open when on.

Hello, 

I also have a question regarding temperature monitoring of an AV closet. The close is around 3ft-4ft W x 5ft D and 9ft H

There is one 39U ( Sanus 27u and Cheap 12U bolted together) Rack with all AV and networking gear. The closet is located on the second floor, in the middle of the home. The rack will be open (no side or back panels) but the closet's door will be closed. As of now, there is no ventilation at all.

What would you guys suggest as far as Fans for cooling, exhaust and a sensor to monitor the temperature of the entire closet? What brands do you recommend? I don't need control4 to turn the fans On/Off but it would be nice to know the temp status via C4.

I will send some pictures of the closet when I get home. Any help is greatly appreciated.

You dont really need to complicate your self that much.  Unless its a hobby and you enjoy it.  I currently have one inlet 120 mm fan and one oulet running on low 24/7.  Its not noticeable and works.  4 w/h in total 

24/7 or simple relay when it's noticeable control is what I'd recommed if you want 'cheap'. It's EASY enough to drop a CardAccess sensor unit in the cabinet and program based on temp, but not cheap (then again, it's less than replacing a melt-down receiver)

Thanks a lot all. I think I was way over thinking this one. 

Decided on a NZXT Grid+ Version 2 Fan Controller which should take care of everything for me. My main concern was with the noise / power consumption running 24/7 so this way the fans can power down when everything else is powered down by control4 overnight. 

Archived