C4 Forums | Control4

Composer HE & Ripping CDs

stevemcd

I would like to Rip my CDs directly to my HC-500. I do not think that the Composer allows you to RIP directly to the HC-500. YOu have to RIP to your Hard-drive first and then to the HC-500. This is an extra step.

I also have Easy Importer (came with the HC-500) that allows this but does not allow deleting of the albums. There is also a s/w bug in the Easy Importer - It keeps saying that I have an error in the file-name of the track - not allowed characters (&, /) or more than 260 characters. However, I renamed the track name to remove the & sign - keep getting this error with Easy Importer.

Composer HE does not inform me of this error so seems to be ok...

So heres the question

1) - Will Composer be updated to allow directly Riping from CDs?

2) Will Easy Importer be updated to remove above s/w bug?

Right now I have to use a combination of the 2 programs.. which is somewhat a pain.

Thanks

--Steve

Humm are you saying that the HC-500 does not work like the C4 Media Controler? I have the C4 Media Controler and I rip CD's right to the HD in the Media Controler.

I ask, beacuse I am about to purchase a HC500 and replace my MC. BUT one of the features I like about the MC is the direct ripping to its HD.

?

It would be the s/w that would enable the CD Ripping...

So I have Composer and I do not see a way to Rip directly from the CD to HC-500. I believe you can only add .mp3s (already ripped music).

The HC-500 does come with a s/w program called Easy Importer that allows ripping direct to HC-500 however some bugs like I said above.

So the million $$ question - Will the bug be fixed for Easy Importer or better yet add the Ripping capability to Composer. The Composer interface is much better than Easy importer.

thanks

--Steve

Humm are you saying that the HC-500 does not work like the C4 Media Controler? I have the C4 Media Controler and I rip CD's right to the HD in the Media Controler.

I ask, beacuse I am about to purchase a HC500 and replace my MC. BUT one of the features I like about the MC is the direct ripping to its HD.

?

The HC-500 does not have a CD tray so you can no longer just pop a CD into it and rip right to the HD. As mentioned, there is Easy Importer, which is software you run on your Windows PC to rip CDs and have them copied to the HD of the HC-500.

Down side to Easy Importer is that it takes about 1 hour per CD to burn to hard drive. Painfully slow. Would be nice if they could get something as slick as Escient is.

I ask' date=' beacuse I am about to purchase a HC500 and replace my MC. BUT one of the features I like about the MC is the direct ripping to its HD.

?[/quote']

The HC-500 does not have a CD tray so you can no longer just pop a CD into it and rip right to the HD. As mentioned, there is Easy Importer, which is software you run on your Windows PC to rip CDs and have them copied to the HD of the HC-500.

Down side to Easy Importer is that it takes about 1 hour per CD to burn to hard drive. Painfully slow. Would be nice if they could get something as slick as Escient is.

Wow! Why so slow? Using EAC (Exact Audio Copy) it takes me roughly 10 minutes to rip and encode an hour's worth of music, even with all the error correction on. I've never used my MC to convert since I prefer to have more complete access to the files for checking metadata, etc, but at an hour a disc I certainly would not use it.

the cd tray on the mc was lame anyway...On most installs, we had the customers rip via their computer.

Neil

BAH!!! I liked it.......Yea if i had 100+ CDs to burn yea it would be a pain. BUT when I buy a CD I just put it in and forget about it.............Convenience is everything to me!

I will keep my MC.........TY!

cfrank10 there is something wrong with your times...

Media Controller doing a rip of a CD takes approx 1 hour (or at least that what we used to tell customers - as the first 20-30 minutes is used to RIP the CD as RAW audio to the controller - the next 20-30 minutes the Media Controller converts that RAW audio to MP3).

Easy Importer, which I've used on more than one occasion with customers, does the entire processes in about 15 minutes per CD - including copying it to the Media Controller (or HC-500 / HC-1000).

So I'm not sure why you're seeing 1 hour copy times, but somethings wrong on your end / network issues or something else - it's not the fault of the software.

Yes - I agree with takitezsdc - I liked the convenience for some of our customers... they didn't mind waiting an hour per CD - as it was very little they had to do. Whereas Easy Importer does require a Windows based PC - it is still quite simple to use... only 2 or 3 clicks to get it ripping a CD... so once someone is shown how - they'll easily be able to rip - it's just not as convenient as the MC's tray.

The tray was removed, as it caused a lot of headaches... as people would rip a bunch of CD's and over burden the system to the point where it stopped converting the raw audio files to MP3's. We used to always stress to customers - even if the CD pops back out - WAIT AN HOUR before putting the next one in. This way we never had any problems... but I'm guessing other dealers did not do that - so people would 20-30 minutes later, put the next CD in and let it rip that, and keep going and going - never giving the system a chance to convert the RAW files to MP3 and eventually crashing the Media Controller.

Archived