C4 Forums | Control4

Shade control

jcn

Question

Hello everyone,

what will be the most simple way to control couples of shades with C4 and what cable should i run in preparation for future motorized shades. Any advise on this will be really appreciated.

Thanks

12 answers to this question

9 hours ago, jcn said:

Hello everyone,

what will be the most simple way to control couples of shades with C4 and what cable should i run in preparation for future motorized shades. Any advise on this will be really appreciated.

Thanks

I am currently in process of building a house.  I am looking at using either Hunter Douglas PowerRise or Qmotion shades.  Both run on wireless.  HD has their own proprietary network that interfaces with C4 and I am told that Qmotion has a new Zigbee enabled shade.  So they need power if you do not want to run them on batteries.  HD requires 14/2 stranded for their low voltage power, so that is what I am running to all my windows from an AV closet.

Would love to hear what others have done recently or are doing.

3 hours ago, C4 User said:

HD requires 14/2 stranded for their low voltage power, so that is what I am running to all my windows from an AV closet.

You don't need to run 14/2 Stranded, that is way over kill 18/2 Speaker wire is manageable at the window, and on 18v would have marginal voltage drop to the shade in even fairly long runs.  Using 14 Gauge just makes for an ugly install as the wire is much more difficult to work with at the shade.

The NEW HD PowerView is much better then the old PowerRise (Platinum) products.  HD also has hardwired motor controls if you want the best possible system.  Still hands down better then Lutron.

8 hours ago, C4 User said:

HD requires 14/2 stranded for their low voltage power

I'd agree here - that's overkill. 18/2 will do just fine.

As for HD wireless....it's not that bad, but there are some severe limitations on the powerview API that can create some big issues - Qmotion the new ZigBee stuff, well I don't like the ida of my blinds under lighting but to each there own.

Of you are WIRING your blinds, WHY are you going wireless control though?

17 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

I'd agree here - that's overkill. 18/2 will do just fine.

As for HD wireless....it's not that bad, but there are some severe limitations on the powerview API that can create some big issues - Qmotion the new ZigBee stuff, well I don't like the ida of my blinds under lighting but to each there own.

Of you are WIRING your blinds, WHY are you going wireless control though?

Well...I may not be aware of my best options.

If you were building a house, and the wife wanted the blind styles and fabrics offered by Hunter Douglas, how would you do it?  I not saying they have to be HD blinds, just decorator variety fabric and style options.

Thank you very much for any input.

10 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

While not cheap - if it was solely up to me I'd use ESI relay panels (or local relays, depending on the setup)

Which is what the HD hardwired product is, ESI is owned by Hunter Douglas and although also sold to other shade manufacturers this would get you the HD Fabrics for the wife and reliable control.  If the windows can use a DC motor you can still do 18/2 wire.

44 minutes ago, THEORY said:

Which is what the HD hardwired product is, ESI is owned by Hunter Douglas and although also sold to other shade manufacturers this would get you the HD Fabrics for the wife and reliable control.  If the windows can use a DC motor you can still do 18/2 wire.

Exactly.

11 hours ago, lippavisual said:

Most if not all shade manufacturers use the same fabric offerings with very slight differences.

If you are talking roller shades sure, but the "ette" products from Hunter Douglas are far different then only slight differences from the others.

Archived