C4 Forums | Control4

New Dish Hopper and Joey drivers available

Announcing New Control4 Dish Hopper and Joey IP drivers! 

Dish Network has the Hopper® Smart DVR, the most advanced set-top box in the industry, which delivers features that will change the way you watch TV forever. Only the Hopper gives you the power to watch all your live and recorded TV anywhere and instantly skip commercials. 

Now you can have a driver as smart as your Hopper! Version 10 of the Hopper and Joey drivers provide new features and bugfixes, as well as new MSP-based drivers, which let your customers browse their Recordings, PrimeTime Anytime, and Rentals (OnDemand 'rented') titles, and let them start those recordings, all from the Control4 Navigator Interfaces. 

Driver Updates (MSP and non-MSP drivers): 

- Better support for 'Now Playing' information on Control4 touchscreens, including on Joeys 
- Faster keypress control, with fewer pauses or delays 
- New Hopper3 Remote Keys available to be mapped to SR250/SR260 'unused' buttons (Applications, Options, Home, Help) 
- Support for the SR260 'Custom' buttons to remap 
- Joey driver converted to .c4z format, to include Dish device icons 
- CC (Closed Caption) option on Navigator UI now maps to Green key by default 
- Reliability improvements 
- New Client Certificate from Dish 

New MSP Features: 

- Recordings Tab: This tab shows all recordings available for playback on the Hopper / Joey, the same as found under the 'DVR' menu on the Hopper/Joey. Recordings are listed alphabetically, and any recordings that have multiple recordings of the same name (series, etc.) will only show the series name, and selecting the series name will expand out all the recorded shows in the series, with a detailed description of the episode. Recordings can be started and/or resumed if previously played. 

- PrimeTime Anytime Tab: This tab shows all 'PrimeTime Anytime' recordings available for playback on the Hopper, the same as you would find under the Primetime... DVR menu on the Hopper/Joey. PrimeTime Anytime shows are listed in reverse recorded order, grouped by date, to find the most recently recorded show. PrimeTime Anytime items can be started and/or resumed if previously played. 

- Rentals Tab: This tab shows all Rentals (OnDemand) available for playback on the Hopper, the same as you would find under the 'DVR->Rentals' menu on the Hopper/Joey. Rentals are listed in a Grid format, and selecting a title in the grid shows a Movie Details page, with a larger graphic, the Title, Year, Rating, Synopsis, Cast, and Genre information. Selecting the Movie graphic (with a 'play' overlaid on the graphic) will start the title.

- Favorites. This tab shows all channels listed as Channel Favorites for this Hopper/Joey. Channel Favorites are *by Hopper*, and any Joeys that are attached to the Hopper show the same set of Channel Favorites as the Hopper. To setup Channel Favorites, you must use the 'Search' tab, select 'Channels' for the search type, and find the desired channel. Selecting the channel will allow you to View the channel, or Add the Channel to the Channel Favorites. 

- Settings. This tab allows the user to turn on/off MSP tabs, only showing those tabs that are appropriate for their installation (i.e. removing the PrimeTime tab if they do not use PrimeTime Anytime). 

- Search: The Search tab allows the user to search Recordings, PrimeTime Anytime content, or Channels by Name, Channel, Description, etc. 

FAQ: 

What Control4 OS version is required? 

The MSP-based drivers all require Control4 OS 2.8 or later. 

The non-MSP drivers all require OS 2.6 or later, although 2.8.2 or later is recommended. 

What are the drivers, and what do they do? 

There are 5 drivers in the Dish drivers release, all found in the Control4 online database. All the current drivers have a release date of 5/12/2016: 

Non-MSP drivers: 

echostar_hopper.c4z - "Hopper Master Driver" 
echostar_joey.c4z - "Joey Driver" 

These 2 drivers replace the current 'Hopper Master Driver' and 'Joey Driver' in the online database, and provide the same level of functionality as the previous drivers, with the above-mentioned improvements / bug fixes. 

MSP drivers: 

echostar_hopper_msp.c4z - "Hopper Master Driver (MSP)" 
echostar_joey_msp.c4z - "Joey Driver (MSP)" 

These 2 drivers are the MSP-based versions of the drivers, and provide the MSP UI as mentioned above. 

dish_netflix.c4z - "Netflix - Dish" 

This driver is a 'mini-driver', which causes the Netflix app to be started on the attached device. You can have multiple Netflix mini-drivers in a project, and each driver can be attached to an MSP driver, which allows for flexibility in which STB to use for a particular room. 

Do I need to update my Dish drivers? 

Existing Dish drivers will continue to work, although they will not have the improvements and new features available in the new drivers. 

What versions of the Hopper are supported? 

All versions of the Hopper (including the Hopper3) and Joeys (including the 4K Joey) will work with the drivers. 

Do these drivers allow me to schedule recordings? 

No. Due to limitations in the MSP UI, viewing guide data and scheduling recordings is not supported through the Control4 UI. 

Is Auto-Hop supported? 

Yes. If Auto Hop is enabled, recordings that allow hopping will show [HOP] in their listing, and the user will be prompted to Auto Hop the recording, the same as on the Hopper/Joey. If this is not desired, the Settings tab 'Show Enable Auto Hop' feature can turn off the Auto Hop prompt. If the prompt is turned off, titles will not be hopped. 

Does the Netflix mini-driver work with all new drivers? 

The Netflix App requires the MSP version of the Hopper or Joey driver, and will not work with the updated 'basic' versions of the driver. 

Known Limitations: 

* The Hopper's power and transport status is *not* polled, so events such as Power On / Off, play, stop, pause, and record are *only* fired when the commands are received from Control4. If the unit is powered down with the Dish remote, the driver may not reflect that change. 

* When a Hopper/Joey driver is added to the project, if no DISH_RF (Dish Network Channels) driver is in the project, one is added, but it is *not* bound to the Hoppers / Joeys in the project. It must be manually bound. 

* If the Netflix app is started on the Hopper or Joey, MSP selection of Dish DVR content will not work. Once Netflix has been exited, MSP selection will again work. 

DishMSP2.jpg

DishMSP4.jpg

Not that I've heard.  Of course, if I had heard, I couldn't say, either.

RyanE

This is nice! Any chance something like this coming to Tivo?

We had a thread recently about this and the long ago TiVo announcement. Ryan was a little more forthcoming in that thread.

53 minutes ago, SMHarman said:

We had a thread recently about this and the long ago TiVo announcement. Ryan was a little more forthcoming in that thread.

TiVo would be really great. It's the only box we dealers can sell to our customers.

There was a rumor that TiVo was working on an all-new API and were going to ditch the current one. I hope that's the reason the C4 two-way driver has been delayed, assuming the rumor is true. 

And the rumors are now rampant with the aacquisition by rovi.

• 3 weeks later...

I have installed this and love the UI, its a way cool feature to show clients and friends. Anywhere in the world i can check my records and have it playing for me when i get home.

some nice combos

browse dvr content while watching tv

direct Netflix for convenience

what i would like to see

Mini drivers getting combined and  having more logic.

Now with hopper, roku, Amazon there 3 netflix's in the watch list

Same goes for music services currently sonos and c4 i have 4 pandora icons for 2 accounts.

Typically, there would be no reason to show all the Netflix mini apps in the same room, i.e. if you *can* get Roku in a particular room, but you usually use a dedicated Joey for that room, you should just hide the Roku Netflix mini apps.

Unfortunately, the mini apps are not likely to be combined anytime soon, and even if they were, you'd have to specify routing somehow.  i.e. you'd still have 3 Netflix mini apps, they'd just all be the *same* driver, which would be a distinction without a difference.

RyanE

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 11:51 PM, RyanE said:

Typically, there would be no reason to show all the Netflix mini apps in the same room, i.e. if you *can* get Roku in a particular room, but you usually use a dedicated Joey for that room, you should just hide the Roku Netflix mini apps.

Unfortunately, the mini apps are not likely to be combined anytime soon, and even if they were, you'd have to specify routing somehow.  i.e. you'd still have 3 Netflix mini apps, they'd just all be the *same* driver, which would be a distinction without a difference.

RyanE

Hey Ryan,

When the Hopper3 driver initially came out, I had to install the internal driver because of Performance issues found on my controller. Does this new drive in the Online Database resolve this issue?

The drivers in the online database should not cause the issues the previous version of the drivers in the database were causing.

I have not heard of any performance issues on running any of the current Dish Hopper/Joey drivers (MSP or non-MSP).

RyanE

There was a bug on the previous online version where certain setups including Joeys were causing the driver to get into a bad state, and keep looping.  The one on the forums had a bugfix for it, and the new ones in the online database also have the fix.

RyanE

I have noticed that when watching dish using this driver, the tv on the ios navigator doesn't turn on. ( the tv screen on the navigator stays black, with other devices turns blue)

I am the only one??

thanks

I have been running on the new Dish Hopper/Joey drivers for about a week and I love it. I have a couple of questions for those that have implemented the MSP driver:

My setup includes 1 Hopper and 2 x 4K Joey (Name: HOMEDISH1, HOMEDISH2 and HOMEDISH3). My system also has Netflix configured. The devices connect to an HDMI Matrix Switch and a C4 16 Zone Amp.

What naming conventions did you use for the Netflix Mini App and the Hopper Recording?

I configured the Hopper Recording and Netflix per device. Is this required?

Is the "Favorites" component configured in Composer or is this something populated from the Dish Devices?

• 2 months later...

Archived