C4 Forums | Control4

Set up programming to stop kids watching tv

My kids have started coming home from school by themselves. Within minutes, the tv is on, and their chores and homework ignored.

I want to create programming where a password has to be entered before he tv will turn on, if between certain hours. Or have a button on the iPad that has to be pressed.

Any ideas?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What is to stop them from manually turning on the TV??

If you want to go to this extreme - you might be better off using outlet switches to cut power to the TV.

If it were me - I'd merely use timers and reporting to tell me about TV use and make sure the kids were aware I know they are watching....

I have had great success in doing this with custom buttons allowing me to have a six button keypad and then with simple variable programming allow me to set up a password. I then tied my programming to an outlet dimmer so that the TVs power was also disconnected.

I have also done this with infrared control as well. If it is helpful, I can send you some screenshots of the programming that I did. Happy automating!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is to stop them from manually turning on the TV??

If you want to go to this extreme - you might be better off using outlet switches to cut power to the TV.

If it were me - I'd merely use timers and reporting to tell me about TV use and make sure the kids were aware I know they are watching....

They could but the cable box is in the basement and the infrared is controlled via c4, so they couldn't change channels. They'd also need to turn the AVR on as video and Audio distributed via it. The other two tvs they could probably figure out.

They know that I'm watching. Interested to know how to set up reporting.

I have had great success in doing this with custom buttons allowing me to have a six button keypad and then with simple variable programming allow me to set up a password. I then tied my programming to an outlet dimmer so that the TVs power was also disconnected.

I have also done this with infrared control as well. If it is helpful, I can send you some screenshots of the programming that I did. Happy automating!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm interested in seeing the programming to set up a keypad

45 minutes ago, Tokead said:

They know that I'm watching. Interested to know how to set up reporting.

By 'reporting' - I'm simply referring to email notifications based on events.

for example an email to say TV is turned on/off or source selection changes etc....

programming a sequence of button presses on a six button is easy enough, but with no audiable response and slow LED colour change responses it can be challenging for the user when they get the code wrong.

You can create a variable 'SEQ'

for each of the six button clicks if the correct button is clicked, increment SEQ, if wrong button is clicked, set SEQ back to zero.

you could also introduce say a timer to prevent trying again for n seconds if wrong code is entered.

with button sequence = 1, 4, 2, 6

Button 1 click:  if seq = 1 then seq =2 else seq = 0

Button 2 click:  if seq = 3 then seq =4 else seq = 0

Button 3 click: seq = 0

Button 4 click:  if seq = 2 then seq =3 else seq = 0

Button 5 click: seq = 0

Button 6 click:  if seq = 4 then seq =5 else seq = 0

----

on variable change:

if seq = 0 reset timer seqtimer; set led's = red

if seq = 5 <Allow TV on> on; seq=1

----

on seqtimer expires: 

seq = 1

set led's = green

programming a sequence of button presses on a six button is easy enough, but with no audiable response and slow LED colour change responses it can be challenging for the user when they get the code wrong.

You can create a variable 'SEQ'

for each of the six button clicks if the correct button is clicked, increment SEQ, if wrong button is clicked, set SEQ back to zero.

you could also introduce say a timer to prevent trying again for n seconds if wrong code is entered.

with button sequence = 1, 4, 2, 6

Button 1 click:  if seq = 1 then seq =2 else seq = 0

Button 2 click:  if seq = 3 then seq =4 else seq = 0

Button 3 click: seq = 0

Button 4 click:  if seq = 2 then seq =3 else seq = 0

Button 5 click: seq = 0

Button 6 click:  if seq = 4 then seq =5 else seq = 0

----

on variable change:

if seq = 0 reset timer seqtimer; set led's = red

if seq = 5  on; seq=1

----

on seqtimer expires: 

seq = 1

set led's = green

Thanks

Our virtual security system driver will fire events for arm and disarm which can be used for setting a Boolean variable for this and if the variable is true turn the system off when it is turned on.

http://www.chowmain.co.nz/generic-security-system-driver

we also have a event logging driver which you can use to play big brother

http://www.chowmain.co.nz/event-logging-driver

also have methods of notification if you don't have 4sight (email or push notification).

http://www.chowmain.co.nz/notification-suite

Our virtual security system driver will fire events for arm and disarm which can be used for setting a Boolean variable for this and if the variable is true turn the system off when it is turned on.

http://www.chowmain.co.nz/generic-security-system-driver

we also have a event logging driver which you can use to play big brother

http://www.chowmain.co.nz/event-logging-driver

also have methods of notification if you don't have 4sight (email or push notification).

http://www.chowmain.co.nz/notification-suite

Thanks. I'll look at them and talk to my dealer

• 4 weeks later...

Archived