C4 Forums | Control4

Geohopper and http driver integration.

VINCELdUB

Hey all, I have been poking my nose around for a good inhome geolocation solution and I think inhale found a good solution. Looking for others input and thoughts.

The system is by two canoes and the hardware http://twocanoes.com/bleuintegrates with Mac and iOS app called Geohopper. https://appsto.re/ca/MkGeK.i

Then using RyanE's driver https://untestedhacks.com/2013/web-events-driver/

0f4710303f51f889d42a592a92b2ed99.jpgSeems possible to create url events when iOS device is entering range or leaving range of each "Beacon"

Programming becomes limitless for user location based programming rather than generic motion sensing only.

Thoughts on this before I make an investment in hardware?

Thanks all and Happy Automating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My biggest problem with Geohopper is that they pushed this beacon solution (which was pretty expensive for beacons I thought), and LATER started charging recurring fees for Geohopper.  I think that is a bait and switch and won't touch them now.  I dislike the model of charging a premium for hardware but then also charging recurring fees.  Or at least if you are going to do that (like C4), be upfront about it.

But if you are ok with the recurring cost for Geohopper, might as well get a beacon to test with and let us know how it goes.

I think there may be some other beacon-based solutions coming, but nothing definite.

My biggest problem with Geohopper is that they pushed this beacon solution (which was pretty expensive for beacons I thought), and LATER started charging recurring fees for Geohopper.  I think that is a bait and switch and won't touch them now.  I dislike the model of charging a premium for hardware but then also charging recurring fees.  Or at least if you are going to do that (like C4), be upfront about it.

But if you are ok with the recurring cost for Geohopper, might as well get a beacon to test with and let us know how it goes.

I think there may be some other beacon-based solutions coming, but nothing definite.

Thanks for the honesty.

Since my post, I have spent a lot more time researching and playing around with the iOS app. And the app will only cost me if I want certain features. So I'm not sure if their business model has changed since the last time you have tried it, but it looks like it is just the upfront hardware cost. I will now most likely by one or two beacons and play with it. And keep this forum updated.

• 6 months later...

I've been poking around with Estimote beacons for a long time.  They're very reasonably priced, and I can get volume discounts with them.  If there's interest, I could quite easily write a native C4 Estimote driver and companion iOS/Android app.  The drawback of estimote beacons are that they're designed to have a battery life of about 3-4 years and they're meant to be throw-away-and-replace.  On the other hand, it's pretty easy to cut them open and replace the batteries.  I can probably find plug-in versions around the same price range.

I could also build something pretty easily using Gimbal beacons... These are USB pluggable, so you could just plug them into any old USB power plug and put them anywhere with an electrical outlet -> https://store.gimbal.com/collections/beacons/products/us5

They're a little more expensive, but you don't have to worry about batteries, and they'd faster to detect presence.

I am in for sure. Geohopper has not performed the way I needed it too.

The hardware cost was too much for the many clients I had on board. They are all still looking for a solution.

I was considering using Bluetooth readers because of the universal way that would work with so many devices, however the downfall is that you have to have a device on you.

You can buy small Bluetooth music receivers that charge from USB. I remember having a dog tag style one at one time that was light and small.

14 minutes ago, Joshua Pressnell said:

I could also build something pretty easily using Gimbal beacons... These are USB pluggable, so you could just plug them into any old USB power plug and put them anywhere with an electrical outlet -> https://store.gimbal.com/collections/beacons/products/us5

They're a little more expensive, but you don't have to worry about batteries, and they'd faster to detect presence.

Joshua, the problem with this unit is that battery lasts only 3 months. I would almost prefer the disposable ones with a 4 year battery. 

Yeah, I noticed that and changed my post to link to the USB ones that never die.  They're a bit more expensive ($25 a piece) but you can buy them individually, and most folks don't need 10+ of these things.  Realistically, I can probably make an app that detects presence of *any* iBeacon (Apple) or Eddystone (Android) compatible beacons.  But it would be easier to settle on a known brand.

2 hours ago, Joshua Pressnell said:

I've been poking around with Estimote beacons for a long time.  They're very reasonably priced, and I can get volume discounts with them.  If there's interest, I could quite easily write a native C4 Estimote driver and companion iOS/Android app.  The drawback of estimote beacons are that they're designed to have a battery life of about 3-4 years and they're meant to be throw-away-and-replace.  On the other hand, it's pretty easy to cut them open and replace the batteries.  I can probably find plug-in versions around the same price range.

I'm interested...

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/9/2016 at 8:40 AM, Joshua Pressnell said:

The Estimote's are nice and I like the built in NFC and the possibilities with that. 

Would love to help develop this. Let me know how I can help.

Archived