C4 Forums | Control4

Garage door script revisited

gmaniax

Hi all

here is that simple script again...should be viewable as an attachment. I have a DSC security system, but it is not integrated into C4 yet. Actually, mine is a new house that I have upfit with C4 extensively and I am not sure about the first steps to integrate with DSC.

regardless, the attached script doesnt seem to be working and probably needs a major overhaul to incorporate some points mentioned in the previous thread

• 1 month later...

thanks Jon

I've been noticing that the Garage door sensor state isnt accurate... it reports the door as being open when it is not, so I removed the script.

I can essentially synchronize the state sensor with the garage door ,so I know when it displays as open, the door is open, However, after several days, it seems to go out of sync, and the sensor reports the door as open when it is not (or vice versa) , so the script causes the door to open instead of checking to make sure it is closed and not doing anything if the sensor reports door is shut

I'm not sure why this is happening. I've tried inverting the sensor in composer and it doesnt make a difference

thanks

GM

gmaniax,

if you use only the c4 system to open and close the door, the "garage door" state will be correct. As soon as you push the button on the garage wall or hit your garage opener remote the "garage door" will be out of sync. This is why we use a senor to tell the system what the actual state is regardless of what openen or closed it. What type of sensor do you have on the door, is it at the top of the door or the bottom, and what is it hooked to on the HTC or MC?

Here is how to make a garage door opener work in a C4 system while also being able to know the state of the door (open or closed) from any interface.

On Contact/Relay Extender, HTC, or MC, wire into relay portion as follows:

From Com port to screw 2 on garage door and from NO (Normally Open) to screw 1 on garage door.

On Contact/Relay Extender, HTC, or MC, wire into contact portion as follows:

From +12v port to contact sensor and from sig port to contact sensor.

In programming, define the true and false states of the contact. When contact sensor is touching (true), garage door is closed. When contact sensor is not touching (false), garage door is open.

Just as a side note, in the first script you had the line "turn on TV". This is not required, because immediately following that is "select channel 39 on TV". This second command will turn on the TV if it currently off.

• 2 weeks later...

HBI,

Could you please let me know what contact sensor you have been using for garage doors? Our installation doesn't have a security system and we are planning on using the relay extender to control the garage door (we haven't installed it yet). Ideally, we'd like to be able to sense the state as well as trigger the motor.

Thanks much.

Hi HBI,

I used those exact search words but didn't get one from SmartHome. Would you mind clicking on a few of these links and see if it looks familiar? I'd prefer to go with a solution that someone else has tested. I appreciate the help.

Thanks much.

-dave

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=garage+door+magnetic+contact+sensor

Was it tech-home?

http://tech-home.com/product_info.php?products_id=356

Thanks very much Ryan. And these will connect to a Relay/Contact Extender? Do I need any other equipment or does it come with everything I need? I've got a R/C Extender coming but haven't seen it yet. We didn't get to mess with one in class.

Thanks again.

dawander: you should be able to connect the door sensor side directly to the contact relay extender.

Mine is still hooked up to my (now non-funcitonal) Phast system.

:)

I'm going to move it over to the Contact Relay extender in my basement when I get a little time.

Ryan

Archived