C4 Forums | Control4

Ecobee Integration

funnyfarm299

This might be a stretch, but I figure I'll ask.

Can you use the ecobee sensors for anything else non-tstat related? Seems awesome if you could use the notion or I'm looking for something to trigger temp inside my rack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This might be a stretch, but I figure I'll ask.

Can you use the ecobee sensors for anything else non-tstat related? Seems awesome if you could use the notion or I'm looking for something to trigger temp inside my rack

Not yet. But I have asked@TheDriversLab to develop that

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Just now, koxkp said:

That would be super useful :D 

yup, my idea was to create a "basic" thermostat driver that would allow you to pick a specific sensor and have that a stat.  It would have no control, it would only load data from the sensors

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Guys, I'm taking title to a new home in a few weeks which will have a complete C4 panelized lighting system as well as ecobee thermostats.  We'll be using thedriverslab driver.

We have some unique needs as we are "Shomer Shabbos" (google the clip from the Big Lebowski - more fun than reading about it elsewhere).

The Ecobees are nice, but we'll have to turn off the screens and leave the motions sensors off to be compliant with our rules.  Hopefully someday Ecobee will provide a "Sabbath" mode like all the major appliances do.  The only true solution right now is to put some tape over the two spots on the front of each thermostat (I have 7 of them), but it would be great if we could tell the thermostats to turn follow me on and off and disable the wake on motion in front of the screen.  If anyone who has experience with the driver could let me know if there is access to any of these items it would be appreciated. If not, we'll either use the tape or just keep the motion sensors off, which kind of stinks.

Guys, I'm taking title to a new home in a few weeks which will have a complete C4 panelized lighting system as well as ecobee thermostats.  We'll be using thedriverslab driver.

We have some unique needs as we are "Shomer Shabbos" (google the clip from the Big Lebowski - more fun than reading about it elsewhere).

The Ecobees are nice, but we'll have to turn off the screens and leave the motions sensors off to be compliant with our rules.  Hopefully someday Ecobee will provide a "Sabbath" mode like all the major appliances do.  The only true solution right now is to put some tape over the two spots on the front of each thermostat (I have 7 of them), but it would be great if we could tell the thermostats to turn follow me on and off and disable the wake on motion in front of the screen.  If anyone who has experience with the driver could let me know if there is access to any of these items it would be appreciated. If not, we'll either use the tape or just keep the motion sensors off, which kind of stinks.

msgreenf; any chance you could post a list of all the available commands from the driver?

Not easily. That would require a bunch of work. Sorry. I'm too lazy to find it all. I would recommend looking at the install guide.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

If not, we'll either use the tape or just keep the motion sensors off, which kind of stinks.

What I think that stinks, is having seven tstats scattered throughout the home and then once a week having to cover them up. How about removing them and using a tstat such as the c4-therm along with the Aprilaire 8051 flush mount temp sensors? All of the tstats are hidden in the mechanical room (or each air handler) and all you have in the living environment is a small ~2" disc painted into the wall? Shabbat or not, this is my preferred installation method.

The rest of the stat is great (and I have them working).  I'll figure out a way, the tape is a last resort for now.

You can do it. It's just the setting called screen brightness. Set that to 0.

7 minutes ago, cdepaola said:

And in your schedule just don't include the any of the remote sensors, then they won't be used.

don't think it works like that.  You pick if you want the sensors in home, away, sleeping.  And then those are used to build the schedule.  Oh, But you could create a Shabos home, away, sleep and use that starting on friday night.

Great idea!

Then you can use Friday sundown schedule to trigger the change to the Shabos home

don't think it works like that.  You pick if you want the sensors in home, away, sleeping.  And then those are used to build the schedule.  Oh, But you could create a Shabos home, away, sleep and use that starting on friday night.

Great idea!

Then you can use Friday sundown schedule to trigger the change to the Shabos home

Yup, exactly my thought.

Interesting.  At that point the question is whether the sensors are actually doing anything even if they aren't being utilized.

I mean i bet they are still collecting data but it's not being used... That would be a question for ecobee

Thanks for the ideas - disabling the sensors in a comfort setting may be enough (the interpretations get complicated but it may fall under the same rubric of the leniency given for security cameras).  Waiting on my Rabbi to get back to me.  

The best solution would be to be able to disable it via the API or ITFF (or ecobee to implement a mode).

Thanks for the ideas - disabling the sensors in a comfort setting may be enough (the interpretations get complicated but it may fall under the same rubric of the leniency given for security cameras).  Waiting on my Rabbi to get back to me.  

The best solution would be to be able to disable it via the API or ITFF (or ecobee to implement a mode).

Clearly no expert on schomer rules but if you have a thermostat that is anything more then on and off it's compliance is probably complicated. I'm conservative and don't pretend to know all the rules and complexity. But I understand the premise which is even more complex in today's world.

Tha halacha is fascinating; Rav Moshe Feinstein wrote some interesting opinions on technology.

He wrote opinions on surveillance, unfortunately he didn't encounter the latest thermostat technology.  If there is no benefit from the  motion sensing in the "disabled" sensors and there is nothing being recorded/written, I expect it might be OK.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived